STE2 compatible flash

mick johnson

If you stick with Canon brand suff, you're limited to the 420EX, 550EX. There are some macro ring flashes (MR-14EX and WT-24EX) that will work as masters, but my info says they will not work as slaves. But you could also add the Sigma EF500 Super. There's also a new DG version of it that is supposed to be more compatible with the digital bodies. The advantage of the Sigma over the 420EX is that you could also use it with the 550EX on manual mode. If that's not an issue, I'd get the 420EX.

The ST-E2 can only control 2 slave groups if you want ratio control. Slave groups mean that you can have any number of slaves in each group but they all operate identically.

If you want a third slave, your only choice, as I see it, is another 550EX. You can set the third slave to operate as an independent slave in manual mode. You then set the power ratio as desired and you can use it as a background or hair light (accent light).

The 420EX has no manual mode so it is limited. Of course you could substitute a 420EX as slave A or B but in the long run you will find the 550EX much more useful and versatile.

Your other option is to buy a fourth 550EX for use on camera as a master as it can provide ratio control for three slave groups. However, the third slave is not set by setting an actual ratio but by setting the desired flash exposure compensation amount.

As I'm new to flash photography I'm not that sure what I need.

I did'nt know that there was no manual flash with the 420.

I will be using it only for birds, with 1 flash either side of the bird and the third flash to illuminate the background.

Maybe I should just buy 2 more 550ex and have no worries about what I might want to do in the future.

The 420EX doesn't have as much power/range as the 550EX. That might be important for you shooting birds. If not, the 420EX flasheswould work well. The Sigma EF500 Super is nearly as powerful as the 550EX but priced more like the 420EX.

You would find it less confusing to be using the same model flash however, and Canon's wireless E-TTL is not the simplest thing to grasp. Easy to use, once you understand it though.