Nikon Z9 Firmware version 4.10.

joseph_smith3

I just got this notice from Nikon about firmware version 4.10. Here is the link for NikonUSA:

Added [Birds] and [Airplanes] to [AF subject detection options] in the photo shooting and video recording menus.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/505.html?utm_source=Support&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Z 9 US 4.10-10-3-2023&utm_content=link&utm_term=NIKKOR Z 9&j=4926002&sfmc_sub=908648365&l=514_HTML&u=307182978&mid=7227070&jb=4&ET_CID=4926002&ET_RID=908648365

Looks like I will do this tomorrow. I skipped ver 4.01. I am assuming this update covers all previous  ones too. 

I updated my Z9 firmware yesterday. It took about 5-6 minutes to update. Today, if it stops raining (not complaining as we need the rain) I hope to test the Bird feature on hummingbirds in my backyard, if any are still around. I will try it with Wide, Auto Area and 3D and see what works best. 

• Like 1

It works pretty much as Steve said.

Although it's always subjective, I felt it could lock onto BIFs when the bird was smaller in the frame, so not really a shot for a great pic (!) but good enough for a far-off ID, say Little Egret v Cattle Egret. If it's got yellow pixels for feet, it's the former!

Does this Z9 update have the skin softening option that the Z8 has?  Anyone tried this out on a Z8?

I'm thinking it probably would look artificial, but I am curious about it.  Does the softening change the NEF or just the JPG.  Probably better to do softening in post anyway, but I just don't like spending any more time in front of a PC.

This morning I had a chance to test out the new bird detection firmware at a raptor shoot. I used my Z9 and the 100-400mm S lens. Bird detection was selected along with Wide Large. I took over 500 images of captive raptors in good to harsh sunlight and the software found the eye quickly and favored the eye that was brighter. I was hoping for overcast or shadow conditions, but these were not available to me. I did not get a chance to use Auto Area or 3D. For non bird stuff like American Beauty berries and fall leaves, , I had to switch to Dynamic area to achieve focus. 

• 2 weeks later...

First time out with the Z9 after the 4.1 firmware update using the new bird subject detection setting. Not quite sure what to make of it. In some scenarios, the AF appeared to be better than before, in others, worse. To my surprise, performance improved when I switched from 3D to Auto. 3D kept failing on an egret some 200ft away (finally found out that all it took to reveal the distance information in the Z9 Exif was updating ExifTool ) while Auto did not have that issue and performed flawlessly. It was strange that in 3D mode failure of the AF led to the disappearance of any of the AF indicator boxes - can't recall ever having seen that before.

5 hours ago, Dieter Schaefer said:

First time out with the Z9 after the 4.1 firmware update using the new bird subject detection setting. Not quite sure what to make of it. In some scenarios, the AF appeared to be better than before, in others, worse. To my surprise, performance improved when I switched from 3D to Auto. 3D kept failing on an egret some 200ft away (finally found out that all it took to reveal the distance information in the Z9 Exif was updating ExifTool ) while Auto did not have that issue and performed flawlessly. It was strange that in 3D mode failure of the AF led to the disappearance of any of the AF indicator boxes - can't recall ever having seen that before.

Well, it must be very difficult for an AI to identify all different bird shapes and angles, lighting conditions etc. I suspect an effective strategy might be to analyse the scene for motion within the scene, this could quickly be used to identify a likely main subject. I'm not sure if Nikon use this strategy though.

On 10/27/2023 at 7:13 PM, ilkka_nissila said:

I suspect an effective strategy might be to analyse the scene for motion within the scene, this could quickly be used to identify a likely main subject. I'm not sure if Nikon use this strategy though.

Yes Please!!

Had similar issues with Bird Mode yesterday at an Owl display.

The first frame is a Snowy Owl banking away, so surprise Bird hasn't been detected, horrid angle etc, but the red box shows my Wide Area - Custom setting with Bird as Subject Detection.

The next frame is the, errr, next frame as the Owl turns around and comes back in to land on the rock with the lady falconer offering a tasty treat.

The AF locks onto the back of her head and stays locked for the next 17 frames.

Firstly her head has no bird-like features, so why did it lock-on?

Secondly, moving the joystick moves the Wide-Area AF box, but the camera selected AF Bird Box (Sorry!) stays locked on the falconer's featureless head.

Sure next time I can try a smaller Custom Box, but I'd have hoped this Mode wouldn't find people to the exclusion of birds so well.

That's what AUTO Subject Mode would do!!!! 

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by mike_halliwell