T90 with Metz Flash and SCA 311 Adapter

ben_hutcherson

I have the 300TL for my T90, haven't touched it in years partially because it's sort of a "one trick pony" and for the rare occasion I'm using in the T90 in the first place I don't want to haul it out. I'm also a bit of a Metz junky, and it's nice to have flashes that work with multiple different brands of cameras.

The Metz SCA 311 adapter, per this website(in German, so hopefully my translator is working correctly)

https://faq.d-r-f.de/wiki/Metz_SCA-FAQ

Should allow second curtain sync and the other things you can do with the 300TL. If that's the case, it would be a big deal at least to me since there are so many SCA 300 system compatible flashes out there.

Has anyone used one of these adapters? I don't have one, and before I go to the effort of tracking one down I'm wondering if anyone has ever used one of these on a T90 with a Metz SCA 300 compatible flash.

9 minutes ago, mike_sowsun said:

I have never used a Metz flash but I have heard lots of good things about them. As long as you have the correct items, it should work as advertised. 

Do you already have the SCA 311 cord?

I found a relatively inexpensive SCA 311 on an SCA 300A cord that I went ahead and bought, so I'll see how it works when it gets here. cross

The 300A cord...well let's say that my "interest" in Metz flashes may well have crossed into "unhealthy obsession." I've been trying to be sort of organized with this stuff. When I first started accumulating I bought plastic shoeboxes at Wal-Mart to sort all the bits and pieces. I originally had one for cords. That's turned into several boxes of cords, as I have one full of just plain PC cords(and I've realized I need to sort those further as they're not as universal as I'd originally thought...), one full of SCA 300 cords and modules, and one full of SCA 3000 cords and modules, and yet another just for the pieces for the late model flashes(70 and 76). Somehow or another I ended up with enough SCA 344 cords, which are specific to the Nikon F3, that they have their own box, although there are a few other bulkier camera specific ones in there. That by the way just covers sync cords-I have yet another for the 60 series power pack to flash head(those only work with an external power pack) and one to connect various models of 45-series flash to both Metz and Quantum external packs.

I have used Metz a lot and still have three units, including a modern one for digital cameras such as my EOS 6D etc.

Essentially, the SCA311 adapter will default to 'A/F series flash mode' on non-TTL cameras (using the two contact pins) or TTL on the T-90 using the 4 pins. EOS and later EOS using a different TTL system (such as evaluative balanced) and hence the SCA311 will give basic functionality only on EOS. The T-90 was backwards compatible with the older non-TTL flashes such as the 199A, 299T etc