Nikon Announced 135mm/f1.8 S Plena @ US$2500

ShunCheung

NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena – Key Details:  

• Named after the Latin term plenum to reflect the lens’ ability to fulfill users’ creative visions with super light gathering capability, beautiful, well-rounded bokeh and outstanding sharpness 
  • Equipped with a Meso Amorphous Coat, the most effective anti-reflection coating in Nikon history that prevents reflections regardless of the direction from which light enters the lens 
  • Features Nikon’s original ARNEO Coat which is used to effectively reduce instances of ghosting and flaring 
  • Contains an eleven-blade diaphragm and larger rear element that allow for exceptionally circular bokeh throughout the entire frame 
  • Offers renderings of the finest textures in hair and skin tones, while excellent point-light reproduction capabilities achieve brilliant night and urban landscape imagery  
  • Includes stepping motors (STMs) for fast, accurate and quiet autofocus drive for still images and video 
  • Offers a well thought out design that takes video recording into consideration with quiet operation and stable exposure 
  • Versatile 82mm filter attachment size enables the use of various lens filters designed to satisfy users’ creative intent 
  • Available in October of 2023 for a suggested retail price of $2,499.95, lens only

1. Nikon Japan web site news: https://www.nikon.com/company/news/2023/0927_lens_01.html
  2. Nikon USA: https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/mirrorless-lenses/nikkor-z-135mm-f%2f1.8-s-plena.html

The front element is rather large and it takes 82mm filters.

Z135_1.8_angle1.jpg.6a5e25473fd67bfb14ca2f17be8c4f5e.jpg

For me, primes like this are preferable to 70-200 zooms, since I am shooting mostly individuals and not constrained by event limitations.  Price seems OK/fair if it is really good.  Only about 10x as much as the first 105 I bought in 1978ish, LOL.

I will rent one at some point and compare to my 105/1.4g that seems very good.  I probably prefer the 105 focal length.

Edited by robert_bouknight1

I looked at all three videos that were part of the info at the nikonusa link. I was impressed by all three of them. The tech specs list its minimum focus distance as 2.69 ft. This is a little bit closer than the MFD for the Sigma art 135mm f1.8. 

I am wondering what type of photographer might be needing this lens? Wedding photographers?  Video ?  

3 hours ago, joseph_smith3 said:

I looked at all three videos that were part of the info at the nikonusa link. I was impressed by all three of them. The tech specs list its minimum focus distance as 2.69 ft. This is a little bit closer than the MFD for the Sigma art 135mm f1.8. 

I am wondering what type of photographer might be needing this lens? Wedding photographers?  Video ?  

I am a hobby photographer and love my Sigma 135A (on Nikon D810) for its sharpness, subject isolation, and light gathering. the focal length is nice for headshots.

In general, I somewhat sneer at sharpness criteria as not being integral to photo quality, but then when I open images from mine, ...OMG.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, joseph_smith3 said:

I am wondering what type of photographer might be needing this lens?

There are Nikon hints at Astro use. Fast, with edge to edge sharpness with seemingly zero coma.....👍

I really like my Samyang 135mm f2 for this job and it's about 1/6 the price, but it not AF (who needs it?)

They have an even better 135mm 1.8 AF, but I haven't seen, let alone used one.

42 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

Too many keen purchasers... 'Due to unexpected demand...

https://shop.nikon-image.com/front/ProductJMA303DA

Only seems on Nikon Japan so-far...😉

It is kind of funny that Nikon would find itself in a situation where they shut down multiple factories due to reduced demand and then 1-2 years later they find themselves with "unexpected demand" for most new products. 🙂  Sometimes the problem is not with the competition from the smartphone but simply making the right product.

• Like 1

There's a common definition of insanity that goes along the lines of..

'Doing exactly the same thing over and over again, but expect a different outcome'.

I wonder how many Z58mm 0.95 Nocts and Z50mm 1.2 and F105mm 1.4 they sold?

EDIT...(800, 15K and 26K if the numbers on Roland's site are right and there are no big gaps)

23 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

There's a common definition of insanity that goes along the lines of..

'Doing exactly the same thing over and over again, but expect a different outcome'.

EDIT...(800, 15K and 26K if the numbers on Roland's site are right and there are no big gaps)

I'm not sure what Nikon did that would qualify for "insanity"; from their perspective they are doing rational things, it's just that they don't always have the pulse of the customers, or the plethora of requests that they make are so diverse that it's impossible to make fully informed decisions and expect success every time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

If (?) unavailabilty annoys customers and loses sales, then making the same mistake again and again, is an error of management..

Nikon being stuck with large quantities of lenses or cameras in a warehouse which no one will buy is also an error and could cost them more than a temporary slow delivery situation that typically lasts months for a lens that will probably be manufactured for 10 years or so.

I think the temporary short supply situation and the online complaints following it is rather a case of customers feeling entitled and impatient without any meaningful reason to be in such a rush. I doubt very much that Nikon is worse off in a short supply situation, in fact it might make the products seem more desirable. People are in it for the rush and hype of having the hot new product. They're annoyed because they didn't get it as quickly as they wanted. If the product has a usable life of 30 years, one would think that people would not care if they have to wait a few months to get it.

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

I haven't had any new serial numbers for these lenses recently, so my figures are likely to be out of date. That means they probably made more than my site indicates. I have seen nothing (so far) to indicate there are big gaps in the serial numbers.

• Like 2

I tend to lust for most goodies when they are announced, as long as it's something I can afford. Some time of unavailability ensures I don't make rushed purchases, and by the time the product becomes available in my area, my initial buying impulse has vaned and any actual purchase is based on (slightly) more rational thinking. This might be undesirable for Nikon, but as an amateur consumer, I don't mind having a forced cool-down period before I spend my hard-earned money. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

.. and there in lies the rub... that's not quite how tech works these days...😉

Well, the previous 135mm from Nikon was released in early 1990s, if I recall correctly. The time period between releases of fast 105's was 23 years. These things don't get frequent updates (a little more frequent would be nice, but I don't know what is missing from the 135/1.8 to warrant a future update). There are lenses which do get frequent updates, in recent times it has been the long lenses.

Nonetheless I still often use some of my 1990s era lenses. 

20 minutes ago, ilkka_nissila said:

but I don't know what is missing from the 135/1.8 to warrant a future update

VR maybe? It's designed to be an outdoor, handheld lens. Low light is it's speciality.

Sure you can use it on a tripod/monopod, but almost non of the promo shots are, it's handheld shots & video, which, to be honest, is slo-mo and non too stable.... guess this relies on IBIS alone?

Maybe it's expected to go on the Zf, which has a few stops more of IBIS?

33 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

VR maybe? It's designed to be an outdoor, handheld lens. Low light is it's speciality.

Sure you can use it on a tripod/monopod, but almost non of the promo shots are, it's handheld shots & video, which, to be honest, is slo-mo and non too stable.... guess this relies on IBIS alone?

Maybe it's expected to go on the Zf, which has a few stops more of IBIS?

Lens design involves compromises, and implementing in-lens VR probably would disrupt those bokeh balls.

I am sure what improvements there are in the Zf in-camera VR mechanism will find themselves in future FX Z bodies, such as the Z9 II. At least some of Nikon's promotional videos of the 135mm were shot on a gimbal. In my opinion for telephoto video, a tripod is usually the best approach at least if the video is to be easy on the viewer's eyes.

• Like 2