Sigma 2003 “advisory”

mike_sowsun

Back in 2003 Sigma issued an advisory regarding compatibility with new Canon Cameras. I always thought it was just all DSLR cameras that were not compatible, and all EOS film cameras were still compatible. It turns out that some film cameras were also not compatible. 

Was this incompatibility due to the new E-TTL II that was introduced in 2003? If so, why did Sigma mention the EOS Elan 7 (E-TTL) and not the Elan 7n (E-TTL II)? Was it just a typo?

“Dear Sigma lens user,

Recently Canon introduced a new model digital AF SLR camera, the EOS 10D. This new camera incorporates some significant upgrading in technology (electronics, software, etc.). In order to be fully compatible with this new camera, lenses must have compatible new electronics and software.

Some Sigma lenses made before December 2000 will require upgrading in order to function properly with the Elan 7 and EOS 10D camera. This modification is not necessary for Sigma HSM type lenses. There may be no outward indication that the lens is not performing properly with the Elan 7 and EOS 10D camera. Owners who believe their lens may require modification should contact Sigma's Service department for instructions on how to have their lens upgraded.

The lens should then be sent to Sigma’s Service Department, with a note describing that the lens will be used with the new camera. Sigma technicians will then perform the necessary upgrade.

This service will be provided as a courtesy and will not affect the lens’ performance with other Canon AF SLR cameras. In addition, a cleaning and a check of all lens functions will also be provided at no cost to the lens’ owner.l

Sincerely,

SIGMA Corporation of America 
Service Department 
15 Fleetwood Court 
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

In doing some more research, I discovered that the Elan 7 and 10D both do not have E-TTL II. The first cameras to have E-TTL II were the 1D II and Elan 7n in 2004. 

So it was not E-TTL II in 2004 that caused the Sigma compatibility issues. Did these issues actually start when E-TTL was introduced with the Elan II in 1995, but Sigma didn’t address it until 2003? 

Edited by mike_sowsun

I just found another Sigma notice from November 2000 so the compatibility issue definitely has nothing to do with E-TTL II. 

Important Notice For Canon Elan 7 Users

November 7th, 2000

Dear Sigma lens user,

Recently Canon introduced a new model 35mm AF SLR camera, the Elan 7. This new camera incorporates some significant upgrading in technology (electronics, software, etc.). In order to be fully compatible with this new camera, lenses must have compatible new electronics and software. 

Some Sigma lenses made before December 2000 will require upgrading in order to function properly with the Elan 7 camera. This modification is not necessary for Sigma HSM type lenses and most Sigma non-zoom type lenses. There may be no outward indication that the lens is not performing properly with the Elan 7 camera. Owners who believe their lens may require modification should contact Sigma's Service department for instructions on how to have their lens upgraded. 

The lens should then be sent to Sigma’s Service Department, with a note describing that the lens will be used with the new camera. Sigma technicians will then perform the necessary upgrade. 

This service will be provided as a courtesy and will not affect the lens performance with other Canon AF SLR cameras. In addition, a cleaning and a check of all lens functions will also be provided at no cost to the lens owner.

Sincerely,

SIGMA Corporation of America

Service Department

15 Fleetwood Court

Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

Tel: 631 585-1144

Fax: 631 585-1895

e-mail: info@sigmaphoto.com

The problem manifests itself with stopped down apertures. The lenses work at full aperture, but as soon as you try to stop down, you get an error message. I think it was something to do with a new image processor (Bionz?) introduced with the 10D. The 10D's predecessor the D60 did not have this and the older Sigma lenses worked perfectly with it.

The new processor was called DIGIC: "Canon made a big noise about their development of the DiGiC processor which first made its way into the PowerShot G3 and S45 at Photokina last year. The same processor is now utilized in the EOS-10D and promises lower power consumption, faster processing and better image quality."

I used to think that it was the switch from A-TTL to E-TTL or E-TTL II that caused the compatibility issues. The more I look into though, it appears there are multiple different reasons that progressed over time. 

I can’t be only the “Digic” processor because the compatibility issues started much earlier than “Digic” or the EOS 10D.