Nikon Lens Calibration - D500

rwa757

The D500, like the D5 and D850, has auto AF fine tine

https://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_info/technical_solutions/d500_tips/af/auto_af_fine-tuning/

I no longer have a D500, but have fine tuned several lenses using the function on my D850 and D5 both. It can be touchy-you need a super solid support, a lot of light, and a high contrast target or it will fail-but it works beautifully when it does work.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ben_hutcherson said:

The D500, like the D5 and D850, has auto AF fine tine

https://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_info/technical_solutions/d500_tips/af/auto_af_fine-tuning/

I no longer have a D500, but have fine tuned several lenses using the function on my D850 and D5 both. It can be touchy-you need a super solid support, a lot of light, and a high contrast target or it will fail-but it works beautifully when it does work.

Thanks Ben.  I was using the AF fine tune tool in camera, but I was coming up with wildly different values when I repeated the process (twelve samples, throw out the high and the low, then average).  I was using a target taped to the wall that I printed out from David Busch's instruction guide.  I thought maybe there might be a more effective target to use or some advice on technique.

9 minutes ago, rwa757 said:

Thanks Ben.  I was using the AF fine tune tool in camera, but I was coming up with wildly different values when I repeated the process (twelve samples, throw out the high and the low, then average).  I was using a target taped to the wall that I printed out from David Busch's instruction guide.  I thought maybe there might be a more effective target to use or some advice on technique.

What lens are you trying to calibrate?

Unfortunately, my experience has been that AF fine tune often isn't terribly repeatable with a lot of longer focal length screwdriver lenses(I've driven myself crazy with my 135 f/2 DC and just finally said "good enough"). I haven't even tried with my relatively recently acquire 200mm f/4 Micro, although live view manual focus is often a better option with it anyway.

If you're using AF-S lenses, it's worth looking at how you're supporting the camera, or rather the lens if using longer lenses.

• Like 1

I have a Nikkor 16-80 DX which just hasn't been as sharp as I would like and I can't figure out if it's front or back focusing.  I bought the camera and lens kit used from B&H.  It might just be a bad copy.  I was using this lens as my first attempt at fine tuning.  I also have a 200-500 that's not tack sharp on the longer end.  I was going to try that next.  I use a Manfrotto tripod which is rock solid as my base.

Thanks for your advice.

I've never used the auto AF-tuning feature of the D500 (or D850 for that matter) and instead applied the "green dot" method to AF fine tune my lenses. Only found the need for fine tuning the longer ones though: 300PF (with and without TC-14E/TC-14EIII), AF-S 80-400 (don't bother with the TC here), 200-500 (with and without TC-14E/TC-14EIII), and 500 PF (with and without TC-14EIII). Used a lens-align target and a sturdy tripod in the  quite lengthy process but got things nailed down fairly good (adding a TC to a lens with f/5.6 makes fine tuning a bit difficult though).

• Like 1