What do you use the joystick for...z cameras?

John Di Leo

I better follow this thread. I only use the multi selector on my Z6ii and would love to make sensible use of the joystick - if there is anything in it for me, that is.

I heard a well know local photo journalist had epoxied the joystick on his Sony(?). He didn't bother to check if it could be disabled in the menus. Gluing the joystick worked for him - no problem - except perhaps affecting the resale value.

• Like 1
Niels

The options available for the center press of the sub-selector are described in the "Available Roles for Custom Controls" PDF available from Nikon's download center.

https://download.nikonimglib.com/archive5/hGqAJ00lk6ec05VB1hS945MS8g06/Z8_CustomControls_List_(En)01.pdf

Since I also use cameras where there is no sub-selector, I tend to use the multi-selector (and vertical multi-selector) to move the focus area about and scroll through menus). I have the center of the multi-selectors (OK on the multi-selector and center press of the multi-selector for vertical shooting) and sub-selector reset the focus area to the center as this is a useful function for me. I know some photographers use the center of the multi-selector to activate AF-ON but this to me is just not the way I like to work as the sub-selector so easily slips to the side when holding it depressed, leading to unintended movement of the focus area. But some people prefer to use one control to both activate autofocus as well as move the focus area around.

To change the function of the center press of the sub-selector, you need to go to the custom settings menu and the f2, g2, f3 settings allow you to reconfigure many of the controls (for shooting, video recording, and playback).

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ilkka_nissila said:

I know some photographers use the center of the multi-selector to activate AF-ON but this to me is just not the way I like to work as the sub-selector so easily slips to the side when holding it depressed, leading to unintended movement of the focus area. But some people prefer to use one control to both activate autofocus as well as move the focus area around.

That's what I do ever since I got the D500. Which was also the most sensitive to moving the focusing area when the joystick was not pressed perfectly straight. The D850 was much less sensitive in that regard. I continue to have the same assignment on the Z9 - but it's different. Pressing initiates 3D-Mode AF while moving the stick changes the position of the AF area I have normally selected (Wide-Area L or Custom Area C1).

This assignment has worked well for me for avian photography (and also air shows) - which is what I use the D500, D850, and Z9 almost exclusively for.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 1