Some advice sought

Hi, my M 246's developed an anomaly yesterday.  They decided to show the message 'lens not connected' with some lenses (mainly legacy LTM's with cheap chinese adapters, but also with a couple of my voigtlander/cosina lenses).  These lenses had previously worked fine, with no problems (other than operator poor eye sight). This did not happen with other lenses.  I could still use the rangefinder, and the cameras would record images, but no evf function or LV, and the irritating message 'no lens connected'.

Looking at previous threads, I'm guessing that it may be a problem with the code sensor being exposed to light because of the cheap adapters; but why only now and not previously?.  I've kept the lens detection in the menus on 'off'.  I haven't yet tried to select a lens type manually (thinking that may turn off the code detector; unless a coded lens is attached), but will try that later today.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.  Regards, Arthur (apiarist1).

It sounds to me like a dirty contact somewhere under the lens mount or a loose lens flange or lens mount.

I had a handful of strange thigs happen to my M-P 240, but never this. A few things come to mind that I would try:

1. First make sure the lens mount is secure on the camera (not loose) and the lens flange on any affected lens is tight; 

2. try cleaning the lens mount with a lint-free cloth and a dab of alcohol;

3. try selecting a lens profile to see what that does;

4. I'd also try turning the Live View function off and restarting the camera. 

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

5 hours ago, Bill Blackwell Images said:

It sounds to me like a dirty contact somewhere under the lens mount or a loose lens flange or lens mount.

I had a handful of strange thigs happen to my M-P 240, but never this. A few things come to mind that I would try:

1. First make sure the lens mount is secure on the camera (not loose) and the lens flange on any affected lens is tight; 

2. try cleaning the lens mount with a lint-free cloth and a dab of alcohol;

3. try selecting a lens profile to see what that does;

4. I'd also try turning the Live View function off and restarting the camera. 

Worked a treat (I did points 1, 2, and 4).  Thanks, BillBlackwell Images.  I had images of more dollars passing from my hands to another's.  Regards, and thanks again. Arthur McCulloch (apiarist1).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 9/7/2023 at 6:22 PM, arthur_mcculloch2 said:

Hi, my M 246's developed an anomaly yesterday.  They decided to show the message 'lens not connected' with some lenses (mainly legacy LTM's with cheap chinese adapters, but also with a couple of my voigtlander/cosina lenses).  These lenses had previously worked fine, with no problems (other than operator poor eye sight). This did not happen with other lenses.  I could still use the rangefinder, and the cameras would record images, but no evf function or LV, and the irritating message 'no lens connected'.

Looking at previous threads, I'm guessing that it may be a problem with the code sensor being exposed to light because of the cheap adapters; but why only now and not previously?.  I've kept the lens detection in the menus on 'off'.  I haven't yet tried to select a lens type manually (thinking that may turn off the code detector; unless a coded lens is attached), but will try that later today.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.  Regards, Arthur (apiarist1).

The type of adapter is important when using vintage or LTM lenses. There are three types of LTM to M adapters. The ones that are type 1 will not work with live view or the Visoflex EVF adapters you may see "snow". The type 2 and 3 adapters will work. For best reliability type 3 adapters that can be 6 bit coded are best, like brass Rayqual adapters. Voightlander makes type 2 adapters. Also note that the old or vintage leica adapters are type 1 adapters and may not work with modern digital rangefinder leica EVFs.

• Like 2