Is it worth to buy Z7 now ? @$750 with 24-70

Hemant Deshmukh

• Hemant Deshmukh changed the title to Is it worth to buy Z7 now ? @$750 with 24-70
12 minutes ago, hemant_deshmukh1 said:

I am getting Z7 with 24-70 F4S for a very decent price local sale. @USD750.seems to be in decent condition.  Is it worth ? to keep as a backup ? or tech is too old. 

The technology is 5 years old and is due for an upgrade, but I think Nikon may consider the Z8 as the update for the Z7ii so that we may not see any Z7iii for a long time, or ever.

However, I am afraid that $750 falls into the too good to be true category. At least in the US, used Z7 is probably around $1000. It shouldn't be very difficult to buy and sell a used 24-70mm/f4 S for around $300. I would verify previous ownership history and whether there is any damage or prior repairs, especially water damage. A Nikon USA Z camera body should have a serial number starting with the digit 3.

And I assume you already have XQD or CFx Type B memory cards.

• Like 1

Yes!  if the deal is for real, the lens is excellent, and the camera, while it does not have the latest stuff, will produce images 99+% as good as a new Z9.  I just got a deal (not as good as your proposed deal) on a Z9, so I have both for now.

I can tell that the Z9 has a more responsive AF system, but the Z7 is good enough for portraits, landscapes, and so on.  The eye focus works well for people.  I probably would not pick up my Z7 for sports, but everything else is fine, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the opinion here that the Z7 is a little old and the technology is really outdated. If you have the right budget and want high-quality works, I'd recommend getting Z9.

11 minutes ago, harestad said:

I agree with the opinion here that the Z7 is a little old and the technology is really outdated. If you have the right budget and want high-quality works, I'd recommend getting Z9.

And in two years the Z9 will be "a little old and the technology really outdated". Where does it end?

8 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

Where have you been?

It never does, it's called progress....🤣

To use a movie quote...

'Old, but not obsolete'.......😉

Agree, for example I always try to change my tech on the latest models every 3 years. 

That's also a solution. It all depends on the budget of each person. 

I got the Z9 in September from their official site. Used the code 10OFF which saved me 10%. Not so much for such a price but anyway I saved some money. Got it from DontPayFull. I always get sweet deals and discounts from there, which might help someone here. 

I have a Z7 and Z9, and D850 and D800 and D3x and D3s.  Had a D600 and D4, both had great colors.

IMO:

Z9 is the "fastest" (maybe)

Z7 has probably the best image quality (maybe), about the same or maybe undetectably better than Z9.  Of recent cameras.

Z cameras have more consistently accurate AF results vs DSLRs, Z9 gets there faster.  This is a big deal for image quality.

D800 and D3x have great colors.  In daylight or bright shade, assuming calibrated lenses that AF accurately, I probably prefer the D3x over all of these.  Later camera colors are probably more accurate, but I still like the D3x and D800 rendition.

Auto WB has improved since D3x D3s, so SOOC images are more usable out of later cameras without messing with images in SW.  Or maybe not if the D3x or D800 nailed WB.

D3s is still a great sports camera.

So, since sensors have been good a long time, not sure the 3 year concept is worth worrying about.

We used to get big improvements in sensors every generation, I think not so much in the last decade.  AF improvements are more important than sensor improvements in recent generations, IMO>  

Edited by robert_bouknight1

5 hours ago, robert_bouknight1 said:

So, since sensors have been good a long time, not sure the 3 year concept is worth worrying about.

We used to get big improvements in sensors every generation, I think not so much in the last decade.  AF improvements are more important than sensor improvements in recent generations, IMO

Yup, I'd second that.

Responsiveness, not just in AF etc, has improved greatly too.

I picked up my Z6ii the other day to do some casual flower shots, and it was just so slow in everything compared to my Z8. Start up, menu selections, joystick movements etc.