Getting CURRENT Info about Locations of Yellowstone Wildlife

william_h._wiley

I’ve been to Yellowstone many times and my challenge isn’t so much the photography as it is just locating the animals. On my trip in May I waited with other people at various key areas and met several people with radios that evidently communicated with other serious photographers about the timing and location of wildlife. Also, a couple of times I’ve met individuals who work as “spotters” for the wildlife tour companies, increasing the chances that their clients see key wildlife for the hefty prices paid. My question is how to increase my chances of locating and seeing the animals that I want to photograph. Sometimes the rangers share basic information from 1-2 days before or they simply give you generic answers like the “go to the Lamar Valley for wolves” or the “Hayden Valley for bears,” but that really doesn’t help at all. Can I simply buy a radio of some kind and listen to photographers sharing information or are there other ways to hear about current sightings, etc.?  Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Bill Wiley www.wmwiley.com

8A1A1534 Crop-Opt-sig -Sharp-Small B.jpg

Visitor Centers. The rangers get information from each other and various visitors to the park all day long. Bears, moose, elk etc are creatures of habit. If they found good eating at a particular spot today, there's a high probability they'll go there again tomorrow. This approach works better in the morning - animals that return to the previous day's spot and are disappointed, or that exhaust the desirable food, will wander off as the day goes on.

• 2 weeks later...