Z400 4.5 vs Z100-400 4.5?

chrismitchell

Everything I read about the Z400 4.5 says it is excellent.  I didn't find a sharpness comparison, between the 400 4.5 and the 100-400 4.5.   I am going to wait until the end of July to buy a telephoto lens, so I have more time to do my homework.  Sharpness could be the most important thing in my final decision.  The telephoto lens will be for hiking in Yellowstone park and other parks.  

I like this review.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikor-z-400mm-f-4-5-vr-s

A review of the 24 - 200 4.5 says it is a hikers lens.  I didn't read a review when I bought my Z5 and 24-200 last year.  I just bought the one I had enough money for.  I also bought an adapter so I can use DSLR lenses if I get one.  

My plan is to buy one top quality lens each year.  The Z 105 2.8 is in the plans.  but first, a long lens.  When the 60 megapixel Z finally gets to market in who knows, another five years,  I want to have some good lenses ready to use with it.  I plan to spend my old age wandering in Yellowstone and other national parks.

I am headed to the Olympic national park wilderness coast this afternoon.  I wont be able to read this thread for a few days.  I will be reading it, after a nice hike in a national park.  Say what you want about the fed.  During a moment of clarity uncle Sam put some nice acres aside for our enjoyment. 

Edited by chrismitchell

I happen to have both of those lenses, the 100-400 S and 400/4.5 S. Recently, Thom Hogan compared those two along with the 400mm/f2.8 TC and adding a 2x TC onto the 70-200mm/f2.8 S. A few days ago, Scott Keys posted a YouTube video comparing those same four ways to reach 400mm:

Please don't take any one person's opinions as gospel, but why don't you take a look at those first and come back here for more questions. I think both are very fine lenses. I prefer to use the 100-400 from small boats, but the 400/4.5 works great with the 1.4x TC and I prefer f4.5 for indoors. f2.8 would have been great, but I don't want to pay that much and that is too heavy for hand holding.

Another consideration is whether your intended use sees the 100-400 mostly at its longest focal length - in which case the 400/4.5 is definitely the better choice. At least, now there is choice - I used both the 80-400 and then the 200-500 for bird photography and was at the longest focal length about 99% of the time - but there simply weren't reasonably priced fixed-focal-length alternatives around until the 500PF appeared on the scene. To me a 80-400 or 100-400 is a great option for traveling when wildlife photography is not the primary objective.

• Like 2

I have the 100-400mm S lens that I use on my Z9, sometimes with its matching 1.4x tc.  Aside from its stated focal length, 100-400mm, it focuses a lot closer than the 400mm prime lens.  For me that is a benefit. 

I bought it as I already had the 500mm f5.6 pf  F mount lens that I also use on the Z9. I decided that with the 100-400mm I did not need a 70-200mm S lens. The only other S lens I have is the 24-120mm f4. 

It the lens you will be getting is your only tele lens in a Z mount, I would think that the 400mm prime and the 1.4x tc makes for sense for pure nature and wildlife situations. When I am using the 100-400mm for nature, I am at 400mm most of the time and sometimes with the 1.4x tc  added. 

Do not be afraid of getting a tc for any Nikon Z mount tele lens. 

• 2 weeks later...

I went with the 400 4.5, based on it's size and weight and I've not been disappointed.

It works well with the TC1.4 which I also use with the 70 - 200 for a 98 - 280 f4, which for me made the 100 - 400 less attractive (at least for my needs).

Thankfully everyone's use case is different, so there is not one correct answer. 😀 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually planning to buy the 100-400 on Saturday.   Now the 180-600 is available?   What are the odds I could get the 180-600 before the end of July?  AS I will travel to Yellowstone in August.

Maybe I should buy the 105 now and wait for the 180-600?  It sounds good on paper.  Is the sharpness really there?  I lost interest in the 800 after looking at a sharpness test.  Best to wait another month while somebody tests it out.

12 hours ago, chrismitchell said:

What are the odds I could get the 180-600 before the end of July?

Zero as the announcement indicates that the lens will start shipping in August. And if the past is any indication, then you would have to have one on order already to get one then. Maybe rent a 100-400 for the trip and make a decision between 100-400 and 180-600 at a later time?

Edited by Dieter Schaefer

In a reply to your 800mm PF 'sharpness' issues, I have a theory...

VR of maybe 6 stops is great for photographer/camera movement, really stable, but subject movement.... nothing.

I can't do the math, but at 1/1000th if you're into BIF, its not enough either.

If they're going by at 120 kph with a lens with a FOV of a few degrees..... it really doesn't help.

Up to a point panning with an 800mm at a slower shutter speed, is a non-starter....do-able, yes, but regularly, not for me at least..!"

Angular movement is really, really fast..... in terms of degrees per second is FAST....