Nikon Z8 Double USB-C Socket Placement.

mike_halliwell

Obviously, being able to in-body charge with the PD socket AND use the other for various comms use at the same time, is very handy.

However, for using it to power the camera when handholding is a pain as the cable has to go in the 'wrong' side for a right handed user.

How about a PD socket on the other side, below the card door next to the battery itself? You could even run a cable down your sleeve from a body-worn powerpack to keep the batts warm.

There are some very interesting magnetic connectors that would 'breakaway' if snagged too hard. Or maybe you wanted to put the camera down without fiddling with a standard plug-socket combo. Handy with thick gloves too.

From what I remember, it will in-body charge when the camera is OFF and power the camera when switched ON.

4 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

Obviously, being able to in-body charge with the PD socket AND use the other for various comms use at the same time, is very handy.

However, for using it to power the camera when handholding is a pain as the cable has to go in the 'wrong' side for a right handed user

Sorry, I don't see what the problem is, for a right-handed photographer.

But if I am hand holding the camera, I am not sure I want yet another cable hanging off it. I would much rather power it with an EN-EL15c battery.

The charging cable is handy if I am shooting a long video from a tripod, and I would rather power the Z8 from an external large battery or other power source, or I charge the battery inside when the camera is not in use. But the EN-EL15c should last two hours capturing video. I typically switch off the rear LCD during long video capture from a tripod.

1 hour ago, ShunCheung said:

Sorry, I don't see what the problem is, for a right-handed photographer.

If you're powering it via a powerbank, the cable has to enter the bottom left hand side. Where is the powerbank?

If it's in your left pocket, the cable crosses infront of your body.

If it's in your right pocket, it's got to cross the camera.

However, if the socket was on the right side, the PB could live in your right pocket and not interfere with anything.

For sure, battery is best, but if you run low or run out of battery and have a PB, you can charge the internal battery OR use external power as you walk around.

Although (slightly) off topic, I've used a belt worn Quantum turbo battery connected to a SB 800 for wedding/events for over 15 years.

The battery and cable essentially sit on my left, they've never really bothered me much - though you have to be a little careful taking it all off. 😀