Nikon Wednesday 2023: #20

Matt Laur

Note: Consider keeping uploads no larger than 1600 pixels on the long side when it matters, and sticking with 1000 pixels when the image feels no pain at that resolution. On data size/compression, try to keep things under 1mb, shooting for 600kb when you can stop there. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). New to this thread? The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here: https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/398109-guidelines-for-nikon-forum-wednesday-image-threadsFor now, we're sticking with 1, 2, or 3 images per week as you see fit.

Almost all the work this last week involved drones, so for this Nikon Wednesday, it's a trip to Wayback World. The random shot dart landed, this time, on an image from the D600 era, watching the local VFD respond to a broken gas line on our street. Happily, they didn't need the water this firefighter was hooking up to. Better safe than sorry (kind of like keeping truckloads of old images around for those forum weeks when you got nothin'!). Happy Wednesdaying, everyone.

2023-05-17_hydrant_hookup.jpg.08c0558674d51dcf22ebfab652a581f6.jpg

D600 with at 16-35/4. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, brian_niemi1 said:

FM. 50mm f/1.4

That seems to be the Queen Mary at Long Beach, southern California. Back around 1980, I went there with my college girlfriend, and my main camera from that era was the Nikon FE. Today, I still own that camera.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

That seems to be the Queen Mary at Long Beach, southern California. Back around 1980, I went there with my college girlfriend, and my main camera from that era was the Nikon FE. Today, I still own that camera.

Correct again, Shun!  That is the Queen Mary in 1982.  I stayed there for a week on a business trip.  The room rate was about $50 per night.  I stayed there again in 2019.  The room rate was $120.

10 hours ago, brian_niemi1 said:

Correct again, Shun!  That is the Queen Mary in 1982.  I stayed there for a week on a business trip.  The room rate was about $50 per night.  I stayed there again in 2019.  The room rate was $120.

Well, I knew that was not the Titanic, which was no longer afloat by the time the FM came along. 😦 Even though my father now lives in Southern California, and I visit him several times a year, we haven't been to the Queen Mary again since that ~1980 visit. That girlfriend is now my wife. The room rate seems quite reasonable, although I am sure it has gone up by a lot since 2019. Wouldn't be a bad idea to stay that for a night. I recall that when we were in college, we thought the room rate was quite high.