RED v Nikon Lawsuit 'Resolved'.

mike_halliwell

48 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

It seems they have shook hands and walked away.

https://petapixel.com/2023/04/27/reds-lawsuit-against-nikon-dismissed-z9-gets-to-keep-compressed-raw/

The legalize is a bit baffling so it's hard to tell what was actually agreed and how.

But good news for the Z9, and the upcoming Z8 I guess!

I very much doubt that many people are using the Z9 for RAW video recording. However, it may still be good for Nikon's brand image that they have this option.

My guess is that RED realized that Nikon had a good chance of winning in court by their argument that the patent is invalid (due to having been originally submitted over a year after demonstrating the technology in public) and a court deciding that it's invalid would kill their patent. So they may have elected to avoid court and keep the patent (even if in name only, since companies now know of jinni tech's and Nikon's argument against the patent) and let Nikon off the hook by pulling the lawsuit.

I really dislike companies patenting trivial things.

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

I'm still curious why Nikon haven't implemented pixel-shift yet?

Z8 maybe, with a firmware update for the Z9....😉

Multi-Shot HDR and Pixel-Shift would make some very nice images.

HDR is already available, isn't it?

Pixel-shift requires the subject to stay completely still (at the level of individual pixels) to work correctly. If trees move with the wind during the taking of the sequence, there will be some inconsistencies. Algorithms can be used to make decisions about merging the images in case of movement but I can't imagine they'll produce the correct result all the time.

I imagine Nikon think it's not worth the effort.  But maybe in the future they change their minds. I hate the idea of not being guaranteed correct imaging and having to go through massive images by hand to scan for artifacts.