weird band of underexposure with new canon ftb

weasel_bar

shot some fuji reala with newly refurbished canon ftb. weird band of underexposure on several negatives, on the right. Have not seen this before. is it related to the quick loading device? It is visible on many frames on two separate rolls. see attached.

56-28 print 4x6.jpg

Capping!  It will have to be repaired.  Either that, or frame your shots with that in mind and crop.  I have had the problem with my F1, and have often seen it on Ftbs.  In the past I sent my F1 to Ken Oikawa, but he is now retired.  Seems as though a lot of folks here are recommending a place i North Dakota now.   

This from another thread:  Steve Sweringen is the repair tech that Ken Oikawa is recommending.  His contact info:  Steve Sweringen, Camera Clinic, 100 2nd Avenue NW Mandan, ND 58554, 775-829-2244 .

Edited by chuck909

"newly refurbished canon ftb - What's the solution?"

This is a classic 'Brake' issue. When one sees a defined line such as yours, it's the 1st curtain hitting a DRY or overly tightened brake (the 2nd curtain pushes its way against the prematurely halted 1st curtain).

This is a REDO for the servicing tech. He needs to first lubricate, then if the issue isn't remedied, then the brake has to be adjusted; this of course assumes that the shutter specs for tension & lubrication are met...

"said it's "shutter bounce." 

Okay, he either doesn't wish to explain it to you, OR he doesn't know that shutter bounce causes A BRIGHT LINE of re-exposure.

"you are referring to the same problem"

Not really. - It's definitely *Brake related, BUT, it's the opposite of "bounce"...

* "the 1st curtain [is] hitting a DRY or overly tightened brake"

• 2 weeks later...