Interesting R5 Rumor

dmanthree

If this can be believed, the upcoming firmware update for the R5 will include a "hi-res" function that could provide some, well, some large files. The rumors about this firmware update seem to be pretty strong, so I'm hopeful that at least some of it is true. Maybe Canon decided that updating the current camera is more efficient and profitable than introducing a "Mark II" version?

17 hours ago, dmanthree said:

If this can be believed, the upcoming firmware update for the R5 will include a "hi-res" function that could provide some, well, some large files. The rumors about this firmware update seem to be pretty strong, so I'm hopeful that at least some of it is true. Maybe Canon decided that updating the current camera is more efficient and profitable than introducing a "Mark II" version?

So is it more than a 45 megapixel image. From reading specs the R5 is Actual: 47.1 Megapixel Effective: 45 Megapixel (8192 x 5464 pixels).  Just did a search on Bing, this from Daily Camera News

" Canon R5 firmware has been rumored for a while. We have some updates about the EOS R5 major firmware update. The leaked screenshot from a cached Canon EU page indicates that the Canon R5 camera will get a new “IBIS HIGH Resolution” to create 400MP image. The feature will combine 9 shots to make a 400mp image. The IBIS High Resolution image will measure 24576 x 16384 pixels!" 

That is a big file. I recall with the Sony A7R3 do this increased image from a 42 megapixel to an 83 megapixel (approximately), the camera had to be really steady and nothing moving in the image including leaves on trees, no vibration of floor using a tripod. Any misalignment and the image is messed up. It would seem the Canon is taking 9 images. Now perhaps the Canon will have a way to overcome something like this through in camera firmware or post processing/editing on the computer. It will be interesting to see. And regardless, there will be applications where this could work beautifully.    As is, I can and have spliced 9 images in with my 5D MKIV using Adobe Lightroom and gotten some amazing results (crazy detail) with long lenses. 

I will look forward to see these images.

Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark

4 hours ago, Mark Keefer said:

So is it more than a 45 megapixel image. From reading specs the R5 is Actual: 47.1 Megapixel Effective: 45 Megapixel (8192 x 5464 pixels).  Just did a search on Bing, this from Daily Camera News

" Canon R5 firmware has been rumored for a while. We have some updates about the EOS R5 major firmware update. The leaked screenshot from a cached Canon EU page indicates that the Canon R5 camera will get a new “IBIS HIGH Resolution” to create 400MP image. The feature will combine 9 shots to make a 400mp image. The IBIS High Resolution image will measure 24576 x 16384 pixels!" 

That is a big file. I recall with the Sony A7R3 do this increased image from a 42 megapixel to an 83 megapixel (approximately), the camera had to be really steady and nothing moving in the image including leaves on trees, no vibration of floor using a tripod. Any misalignment and the image is messed up. It would seem the Canon is taking 9 images. Now perhaps the Canon will have a way to overcome something like this through in camera firmware or post processing/editing on the computer. It will be interesting to see. And regardless, there will be applications where this could work beautifully.    As is, I can and have spliced 9 images in with my 5D MKIV using Adobe Lightroom and gotten some amazing results (crazy detail) with long lenses. 

I will look forward to see these images.

Agreed, it's a huge file, and would require a very steady support for sharpness. And who knows what other conditions might have to be met? Lighting? ISO restrictions? Again, all a rumor at this point, so we'll see. In the meantime I'll struggle to get by with y 45MP images. 😉

3 hours ago, dmanthree said:

Agreed, it's a huge file, and would require a very steady support for sharpness. And who knows what other conditions might have to be met? Lighting? ISO restrictions? Again, all a rumor at this point, so we'll see. In the meantime I'll struggle to get by with y 45MP images. 😉

It appears to be pixel shifting, that is also what the Sony A7R3 does though I believe the Sony only uses 4 images. I hope to see some samples to downliad from reviewers as I don't have an R5 to play with. 

Cheers, Mark

1 hour ago, Mark Keefer said:

It appears to be pixel shifting, that is also what the Sony A7R3 does though I believe the Sony only uses 4 images. I hope to see some samples to downliad from reviewers as I don't have an R5 to play with. 

Well, if this actually becomes real, I'll give it a workout and post some samples. But, well, for me the R5 is already overkill, so unless I see something really special, well, it'll be a limited use feature for me. But still just a rumor...