New Canon “Neural network Image Processing Tool"

JPDupre

I have a Canon T6s (760D elsewhere in the world).

To upload pictures from this camera to the computer and make a first selection, I always used the free Canon software “Canon Digital Professional”.

But once on the computer, everything I do with my pictures I use Lightroom and/or Photoshop.

Tonight, when loading “Canon Digital Professional”, I got a notice that, after version 4.17.10, Canon proposes “Neural network Image Processing Tool", with new algorithms and deep learning. But “Canon Digital Professional” would still be needed

https://my.canon/en/support/0200682602

If I agree to download this new software, I get a second notice saying that new software is subscription paid.

I didn’t, and I don’t plan to, as I am already paying my Adobe’s subscription pour Lightroom and Photoshop.

Did anyone download It?

Thanks.

J-P

Interesting. I once used the Canon Digital Professional but I haven't done so in many years. I have a Canon EOS DSLR and I just use the EOS Utility software to transfer raw photos from my camera to my Laptop. Like you, I use Lightroom and Photoshop. Implicitly relying on Adobe to do the raw conversion.

Canon claims -probably rightly - that Digital Professional does a better job at converting and correcting raw data than Adobe does. But Adobe is fine for my purposes.

Just of interest, I looked up the new version 4 of Digital Professional. Three things struck me:

- it's 'deep learning' is aimed at raw data 'correction and enhancement' related to noise and lens corrections

- it only works - at the moment - with a range of RF (mirrorless) lenses

- Compared to the Adobe 'Photography plan' (LR + PS) subscription fee of $10 p.m., the Digital Professional subscription plan of roughly $6 p.m. seems ridiculously high

I guess some people who want the very best quality raw data from their (mirrorless) kit, the investment might be worth it. And there's a 30-day free trial period.

But it's not something I'd personally buy into. Especially since none of my EF lenses are supported!

Seems someone at Canon thinks it is OK to have us buy a camera that we now own, but then try and get us to pay a subscription to actually work with the images. Of course there are free options. Canon released a software during covid that allowed Canon cameras to be used as a Webcam. The new version is pretty much crippled and you just pay a hefty subscription to use the camera.

It was far cheaper to just buy a good Webcam that comes with free software. If a high-end camera is really needed for Webcam, maybe other brands offer solutions.

As far as editing photos, I use the Canon software to download the files and also use Lightroom as the work flow for me is smooth and fast. Canon Digital Professional  while capable, was just to clunky to work with, I had no work flow. To go through a wedding shoot took 4 times as long. 

Anyway, having a camera manufacturer charging me a subscription to use their product leaves a bad impression on me and will greatly influence whether I will buy anymore of there products. I already have an adapter that allows me to use my Canon EF lenses on a Sony A7***. So when the 5D MK IV dies and after being a Canon shooter for 45 years, I may part ways with Canon. The professional cameras have gotten very expensive and now the subscription price gouging in my opinion, I am done. And truthfully, Canon doesn't care about me or the past gear I have bought from them. They are a big rich company who are looking for profits. It's a business decision for them and I understand that. Good luck with that business model. If I decide to change brands it is a business decision for me too. 

Edited by Mark Keefer
Cheers, Mark