Summicron DR or plain Summicron ?

jschweigl

The DR was introduced in 1956 and the current design (which includes the 350xxxx) was introduced in 1980. So you can draw your own conclusions about which might be better optically. But you may be aware that there are still passionate arguments about which 50 Summicron is better, with the 50 DR (same formula as the classical 50 rigid Summicron of 1956) having its defenders. Some of these arguments are found on the LHSA Viewfinder.

My opinion, there having been improvements in glasses, design capabilities, and coatings, the current lens is better. However, the DR is one of the most elegant and best made Leitz lenses from an era when workmanship and solidity of construction was highly valued. So DR is much better made. In fact, there are NO comparable modern lens built to a standard approaching that of the 50 DR Summicron.

I have a 50 DR and the current 50 Summicron-R for my R6.2. The 50 Cron-R is nearly identical in performance to the current M version. That said here is my take on the two.

The DR has that classic Leica look/glow. Very high resolution, with lower micro contrast than the current version. IMHO this lens really shines for black and white. F5.6 on this thing is a real eye opener. Razor sharp performance and a really lush fingerprint. If you are looking for that classic look from the 60 and 70s this lens and a few rolls of Tri-X in D76 is the ticket.

The new Cron resolves extremely high and backs that performance up with strong micro contrast. Wide open it packs more of a punch than the DR. I think it's a stop or so ahead of it. The fingerprint is a lot "harder", almost brittle, that's how sharp it is. I am consistently amazed at the performance of this lens at all apertures. 16x20 blow ups are stunning.

Both lenses are very, very good. The new Cron is more consistent in it's performance across the aperture range, especialy wide open, and is brutally sharp. The DR is very, very sharp, but has less contrast and a little more glow. The new Cron is definitely sharper and has more contrast, the DR is very sharp and smoother. I really think it's a matter of which look you prefer. How about one of each? ;-)

Cheers,

feli

Thanks for all the info. I was afraid someone would bring up the "one of each" idea ;-) I'm bidding on a DR and thought I'd possibly sell my cron because I like the shorter minimum distance of the DR. Well, think I won't sell it. Seems I've turned into kind of a 50mm freak because I already have a summarit, current elmarit, cron, noct, jupiter 3 and jupiter 8. That brings up the idea of a big shootout to compare the lenses at several f-stops. Would that be of interest?

Johann, I've done the shootout (at least a little one) and found that the above comments accord very well with my results. I would add only that resistance to flare improves progressively with each newer version. Thus the current formula (tabbed version, in my case) flares less than the 1969-79 model, which in turn flares less than the DR, which in turn flares less than my collapsible. The flare test was done by shooting each lens against the sun, with the sun just completely out of the viewfinder area.

I've got both, and they are both fantastic. I concur with feli's assessment that the current Summicron is stunning at all apertures. I've used it constantly since I got it about 3 years ago. It is consistently sharp and contrasty with beautiful bokeh.

I just recently got a Summicron DR. It, too, is a wonderful lens. Very sharp, but in a different way than the current model. I don't know how to describe how. The bokeh is also quite beautiful - fluid and luminous. And it's nice to be able to get close for a change.

My suggestion: buy the DR. Shoot with it for a while and compare your results with those you get the current model. Keep the one you prefer.