What memory to purchase for the Canon EOS D10

mark_jones8

If price isn't an object (say up to around $400), what memory should

be purchased for the Canon EOS D10?

Thoughts on 1gb vs 512mg vs microdrive vs type I vs type II, etc.

My goal would be to invest in one memory card that could hold a large

number of shots, shot at high resolution, that I could take on trips,

etc....

umm.. I dunno.. It's a personal preference.. I would say at least a 512, though personaly, I plan on getting a 1 gig.. as for microdrive vs. a normal Compact Flash.. the Microdrives are cheaper. I havent heard of them being any more problimatic. the only negative I have heard is that some claim if you shoot a lot of images in a small amount of time, the card will actually heat up to the point that you can feel it in the grip.. though, of all the people I know that use them, only one has ever had that problem, the others all loved them...

At the camera shop I work at, we rent a D60 with a 1gig Lexar CF card.. our first one had some sort of problem, and actually got corrupted 3 or 4 different times, finaly to the point that their software would no longer repair the card.. Lexar said it was defective and sent us a replacement for free.. but, I dont know anyone else that has one of these, so i dont know if its a known problem, of if we were an exception or what....

its up to you man.. and of course, you could also go with getting some sort of digital wallet to hold the images as well.. they make them in the range of 5-40gigs, and probably higher....

1 GB holds about 130 RAW files (4 rolls of film worth of images). For about $400 you could get 2 1GB microdrives (and have 8 rolls worth of storage) or 1 microdrive and a 20GB storage device (and have 80 rolls of film worth of storage).

anders makes a good point... keep a look out for good deals on the cards, you often see them drop for a week or two.... if you time it right, you can get pretty good savings... and I always like to have a back up. I plan on getting a 1 gig microdrive soon, and will keep my 256 as a back up, incase I get into a situation where I need more, then I know I always have an emergency card good for about a hundred shots or so depending on the ISO...

I am new to all this. I'm making the move from my reliable A2 to a

10D, hopefully in time for a June photo trip to Italy.

I have to say that I'm sweating the same details:

2 1 Gig Microdrives or spend a little more ($60/each) and have 2

1 Gig Flash cards. I'm getting at least two since I'm not

comfortable without some form of back up.

To me, the benefits of the CF over the drive are two fold:

1. Static memory as opposed to mechanical=more reliable.

2. Less battery consumption since there's no drive to spin.

I'd like to hear if there's factors in favor of the Microdrives that I'm

missing since it would save some on my initial investment. Or if

my research/logic is faulty on this.

As far as I know the only advantage of a microdrive is cost. There used to be a big difference, now it's getting smaller.

I've had a 340MB microdrive for a couple of years and used it in several cameras and so far it's given me no problems at all. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if there was a significant price advantage over a CF card - however these days I think a CF card is actually cheaper!

Got 10D. Bought 512MB to go with it.

The 70-80 shots you can put on a 512 card will get you through a day or two of heavy shooting. Don't forget the higher tendency to shoot multiple shots with digital to get the "perfect shot". For longer trips, I think you will need to download to a computer or get another card.

My advice: Buy a smaller card now, and a bigger card when you grow into it. Optimize $/MB and buy two if necessary. I bought a 128 MB card six months ago for a P&S for the same price I could buy a 256 MB for today. The 512 card is cheaper on the $/mb basis. The 512mb and 1GB cards were not even available in the Type 1 format.

Gee, my 512MB card is type I. I currently use it in my Canon S45 and now I am considering replacing my Elan 7 with a 10D as well.

I have been researching this on the web. In more than one place I was surprized to get opinions that Microdrives are actually more reliable than flash. Very battery efficient too.

On the con side I hear they have altitude limitations (I would not take one mountain climbing). That and some of the flash cards are now rated with faster speeds (but you pay much more for those).

Maybe hedge your bet with one of each?

I've had my 1GB microdrive for more than two years and it works great in my D60. I rarely shoot in RAW mode so I can store more than 300 shots on a single piece of media so I use it for sports events and parties. The drawback to the microdrive is that if you drop it, it's toast. Also, some media slots won't accomodate a Type II card, but that's rarely been a problem.

I also have a couple 256MB CF Type I cards that I got when they started blowing them out for $100. Each holds 70 to 90 shots in the D60, so I use them when I'm in the studio. And be careful about spending extra for faster CF cards as the capabilities of the camera may limit write speed.