W/NW 2023 Pic-O'-The-Week #9

Welcome everyone to Week 9 of 2023, the Leica and Rangefinders W/NW Thread! I have nothing really new this past week, so here's a scene from my archives, looking down Lexington Avenue, New York.

Leica M8, 35mm f/2.5 Voigtländer Color-Skopar PII.

L1014845R.JPG

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Bill Blackwell Images said:

Bodie Ghost Town - ca. 1991

Leica M2, 21mm Pre-Asph Elmarit-M, 50mm Summicron-M v.5 (2nd shot)

Kodachrome 64, converted to B&W

Bodie3aBWcopy.thumb.jpg.ae95bf0ecae151edfbdea3a129a7c2e6.jpg

BodieIT8(8)BWcopy.jpg.3ddbb8238d021a3ff81b13522ae937f0.jpg

BodieIT8(4)BW2copy.thumb.jpg.9636e08be44aa60111fa6e0b14b164e9.jpg

They are good.  I looked up Bodie. Absolutely fascinating.  We have several 'ghost towns' in Oz.  One I visited several years ago.  At Newnes in the Wolgan valley.  Established as a shale oil refinery around WWI; built on a sloping ridge, so that they could use gravity to slowly process the oil fractions as they flowed downhill.  Then abandoned when it became uneconomical. A bit like Bodie's story.  I have some b&w shots which I can't find yet, so here is someone else's photo of the brickpits, which were at the top of the ridge, and the 'kerosene house', about half way down the ridge. The site is still accessible, though barely ( a lengthy dirt road drive, only one place to stay, unless you're camping). These glimpses into the past are something special. Thanks, Arthur (apiarist1)

brickpits newnes.jpg

kerosene newnes.jpg

• Like 7

So my contributions for this week, all with my monchrom and go to 75mm lens.  Out last night for dinner: the first is of the performer, the rest are of patrons.  I've had to 'trick up' the bellows on my 1936 super ikonta (with black fabric paint), and will see if it works later today. Luis Triguez, that second shot is quite arresting.  Regards, Arthur (apiarist1) 

L1003778.jpg

L1003790.jpg

L1003791.jpg

L1003793.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent! 1

11 hours ago, adam_herbert1 said:

IMG_1490.jpeg.66ac5468633c07d9bf6c968c4dabe0b6.jpeg

I see the ducati, but can't make out the other bike's pedigree. Had to sell my guzzi breva a couple of weeks ago - I'm too old to ride it, and too unwell.  The Italian bikes are magic, though their lighting electrics mean you'd never ride them at night; and, at least for the desmo ducatis you'd have to have shares in a shim factory. I remember the old aphorism: 'Harley riders speak with each other; BMW riders speak with ducati riders; and ducati riders speak with God'. Good shot - brings back memories. Thanks, and regards, Arthur (apiarit1)