A vote of thanks to Mary

rodeo_joe1

On 2/21/2023 at 11:53 AM, Sanford said:

I'm trying to avoid any effort on my part, that's why I just wanted a "simple" explanation.

Clearly the case.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:57 PM, Mary Doo said:

This is a joke right?

Be careful of calling the kettle black because I was just about to ask if this entire thread is a joke. 

I'd sure be a disappointed member if I thought any of the obviously limited resources here were going to the naming of equipment categories rather than the functionality and usability of the site. But, of course, to each their own.

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled debate on whether Mozart's Sonatas for Piano are really Sonatas for Pianoforte. Get your thinking caps on, guys and gals, but don't listen to the music.

Edited by samstevens

"You talkin' to me?"

9 minutes ago, samstevens said:

I'd sure be a disappointed member if I thought any of the obviously limited resources here were going to the naming of equipment categories rather than the functionality and usability of the site.

Surely the usability, and attractiveness of the site to newcomers, is directly impinged upon by the aforesaid category naming?

If there's to be a division by brand-name shouldn't it include all the major brands? Then possibly branch further into sub-categories. Because lumping the sub-categories into the heading is just putting the Cartier-Bresson before the Horst (P. Horst). 

24 minutes ago, samstevens said:

... back to our regularly-scheduled debate on whether Mozart's Sonatas for Piano are really Sonatas for Pianoforte.

Don't you mean Fortepiano? 

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Born January 27th 1756 - Died December 5th 1791.

Difference between Pianoforte and Fortepiano, according to t'internet:

"Fortepiano and Pianoforte were interchangeable terms until recent times. Today the word fortepiano is generally reserved for instruments made before 1830, or copies of them. Such instruments differ from the modern piano in their appearance, in their touch and in the resulting tone."

Looks like Mozart could only have written for the Fortepiano then. 

7 minutes ago, rodeo_joe1 said:

Surely the usability, and attractiveness of the site to newcomers, is directly impinged upon by the aforesaid category naming?

I’d be careful of that “surely.”

7 minutes ago, rodeo_joe1 said:

Don't you mean Fortepiano?

When an interlocutor is reduced to grammatical corrections, I give up on the substance of the dialogue even though I humbly stand corrected. It is consistent, however, with your nitpicks with the language of categories. 

I bid you good day. Sorry to have distracted from the continuity of the thread. 

Edited by samstevens

"You talkin' to me?"