D100 price reduction

AntonioC

Hi,

rumours have been around since the announcement of the new Canon 10D,

about a price reduction of the D100. I don't know about other

countries, but here in Italy, retail shops have lowered the price of

ca 450 euros, which is really a lot! We are now at 2300�, compared to

the original 2850 (2700 in most shops).

Just to share, it seems a price war has started.

bye

I've also been wondering what Nikon USA will do with the prices of the D1h and D1x when the rebates expire at the end of the month. I really can't see them not doing something in the face of competition. I would say that an extension of the current rebates is likely for the D1x/h and maybe the introduction of a rebate on the D100. Nikon likes to use rebates.

Steve

Since I'm in the deciding moment, I was thrilled when I heard of the new Canon, and the low price. Now, after having investigated a bit, seeing the samples, I must say I'm more and more convinced it was really a move from Canon to realize a product on the same level of the D100. Now, after the rebate from Nikon, they have the same price here (Italy), so I guess it's easier for me!

As I mentioned a couple of times before, Canon USA's target price for these "lower end" DSLRs is below US$1000 by mid 2004. So if $1500 for the EOS 10D looks "cheap" to you now, it'll seem expensive in a year or so, just like the $2000 D100 seemed cheap a year ago compared to the $4K, 5K D1h/D1x before it.

If you are in no hurry at all, it really pays to wait another year until DSLRs drop below $1000. Although prices will continue to go down, it probably won't be so dramatic after that.

However, these "lower end" DSLRs will continue to lack some significant features, such as AF is slow on them, slow frame rate, no spot meter on the Canon, etc. I shoot RAW on my D100 99% of the time. The memory buffer can only hold 4 shots and then you'll have to wait for it to write to the CF card. On the D100, it takes approximately 7 seconds to write one RAW frame, or like 28 seconds to empty the entire buffer. In other words, once you take 4 consecutive shots, you must wait 7 seconds to shoot again, and you can only make one more shot before waiting another 7 seconds. This is completely unacceptable if you shoot any type of action photography. I have missed some shots with the D100 and it is extremely frustrating. But I was completely aware of these limitations before I got my D100, and that is why I still use my F5. For action photography, you need a D1h (if 2.7 MP is acceptable to you) or the Canon EOS 1D (4 MP).

Shun, you said "The memory buffer can only hold 4 shots and then you'll have to wait for it to write to the CF card."

Can you elaborate a little bit? How about shooting in JPG for fast action shots? Is it any faster, and do you lose a lot in terms of quality?

With all respect Shun, in the case where high firing rate is

paramount, you can select JPEG compression and get the first 6

frames at the maximum firing rate of the camera. For sports,

where large enlargements aren't needed (say bigger than

11x14), the you can shoot Medium image size, JPEG Normal

comrpession and get the write time down to about one second

(I'm using a 16x Lexar card). This gives you about 8 shots at the

maximum firing rate, then about one second thereafter. If there

any pause in the action, the buffer quickly catches up and you're

ready for another burst. Not a bad performance at all.

Dan, I am a nature photographer and almost don't shoot sports at all. My action photography is mainly wildlife, and I would rather not give up the quality of RAW as I don't know when I'll need a very large enlargement. If you shoot sports or news and your target is some newspaper or web site, then perhaps some low resolution JPEG may be more than sufficient.

<P>

In action photography, another issue with the D100 is its relatively slow AF. Even with my 300mm/f4 AF-S, my D100 has great difficulty locking focus on birds in flight, something my F5 and F100 have little trouble with. The F5, F100 and all D1's use the faster CAM 1300 AF module. The D100, F80/N80, Fuji S2, etc. use the slower CAM 900. I have mentioned this problem before also. I would imagine that this limitaion posts problems in sports photography also.

<P>

Naji, for additional info on memory write speed, etc., I think Moose Peterson's <A HREF="http://www.nikondigital.org/reviews/D100/nikon_d100.htm">D100 Review</A> has the data you want. In this review, Peterson (who is otherwise well known for his one-sided praises in his Nikon books) openly points out his frustration with the D100's and why this camera is not suitable for him.

<P>

I had read this review before ordering my D100, so none of these limitations came as a surprise to me. I wanted a DSLR to learn about digital photography and overall I am quite happy with the D100. But I am still using film in many occasions. Essentially, I am looking for the resolution of the D1x with the speed of the D1h in an "affordable" package; then I'll put my F5 on the shelf for good. (I know, I am asking for a lot.) For my landscape work, I'll continue to use medium format or wait for something like a more affordable EOS 1Ds. You don't need AF speed nor fast frame rate for landscape, so the requirements are totally different.

• 2 weeks later...