High Island Migration

jerome_smith

I'm thinking about going to High Island area for bird photog. during

migration, i.e., late April/early May. Any info./tips about

locations, techniques, expectations, etc., would be greatly

appreciated. (I searched and the archives and found very little on

this.) Thanks in advance.

The Audubon Society of Houston operates two refuges on High Island which are well worth a visit. Blinds

are available on a first come first served basis. Best time to visit is early in the morning after a cold front

has passed through over night, since birds migrate across the Gulf overnight and the cold north wind

forces them to rest in wooded areas such as High island.

Photographic oppportunities are difficult for the smaller birds because of the dense foliage and the large

number of visitors prowling around.

When I return to Houston next week I'll post somke more information - right now I am listening to the dawn

chorus in the English countryside. . . .

When you go to High Island, you should also visit Bolivar Flats which

is a terrific shore/wading birds spot with nesting terns etc. Anahuac

NWR is another good site. You can drive around the small town of

Bolivar and find roseate spoonbills etc. in ditches by the road. My

husband and I are planning to spend the last two weeks in April and

1st week in May there for bird photography.

The American Birding Association has published a book by Harold Holt titled "A Birder's Guide to the

Texas Coast". ISBN Number 1-878788-03-5, Library of Congress Card Number 93-70809. This is an

excellent guide and gives you a better description of High Island and surroundings than I can. BTW

Audrey is very accurate with her recommendation re Bolivar Flats, etc. (do a search on Bolivar you will find

a lot of information right here as well).

As I mentioned before, the key is timing it right with respect to a cold (cool this year!) front. But even so,

there will be plenty to see on a normal day. I may have been a bit negative about the heavy foliage and

density of people, but on a weekday this could be much improved (I only get there on weekends).

While you are there, check out the old pier on the beach in front of High Island. This is a favorite place for

brown pelicans. Good luck, High Island has a great reputation and is worth it just to watch the birds.