NPC 195 User Feedback

tom_rand

Can someone provide feedback on the "new version" NPC 195 camera?

I've used the Polaroid Pro Pack camera and would like to step up to

the latest NPC 195. However, I'd like more information from users, in

regards to performance, quality, and optics.

• 5 months later...

A few months late, but here's a response to your question: First of all, the camera itself is a solidly beautifully machined piece of equipment that by far surpasses the quality of the original Polaroid 195. However, none of the original Polaroid 195 accessories will fit the npc 195. For almost 5 years now, npc has been telling a friend of mine, who also owns one of these marvels, that a close-up and portrait attachment will be out "in 6 months" but it hasn't materialized yet as far as I know. [in that vein (an aside, if you will), do not expect any customer support from npc. Once you buy the camera, you're on your own. They're really bad when it comes to customer support even at the level of answering e-mail or telephone inquiries from their customers. Their products however, are extemely well-made. I also own their Prohead which is the best "ballhead" around (even though it's not in fact a true "ballhead," something the Arca Swiss fans disparage as some kind of detraction).]

OK. That rant said, the camera has a fairly wide-angle lens on it and will not focus any closer than 3 feet. This is a significant limitation for me since I shoot mostly with telephotos (portraits). Therefore, the only real advantage to my owning one is to check lighting; for that it's superb and you get a full 3.25x4.25-inch positive to boot. Nevertheless, in the portrait situation I tend to just use an npc Polaroid back on my 6x6 camera.

I have wandered into the Polaroid Posi/Neg camp with the 195 and returned with good results. Since I rate the film at EI 25--to get a dense negative--I need a lot of light for the f/4.5 lens which I accomplish either on really bright days or with electronic studio flash (Dyna-Lites).