photography in the Kentucky/southern Illinois area

keith_merrill

A quarter of a century ago( wow, I feel old!) I used to do a lot of rock climbing at very picturesque bluffs in Giant City State Park near Carbondale, IL, Drapers Bluff, south of Marion, and Fern Cliff State Park, also near Marion. Pennsylvanian sandstone bluffs crop out in cliff-forming ridges that run for miles. Plenty of ARAT (another rock, another tree) sort of scenics in the area. Also check out the cool little town of Makanda, Illinois, just south of Carbondale. One post office, a few old buildings, and an occasionally alive sandwich joint. I visited there for some climbing about 4 years ago, and it hadn't changed a whole heck of a lot. Be sure and check out the chromed 'god's eyes' orbs that people put in their front yards, to accent the painted tractor tires. Shawnee National Forest has plenty of lakes and cliffs as well. You could do worse.

CH

• 3 years later...

I live about forty five minutes north of Paducah... The man who suggested Giant City is right about that (though its only five miles from the college town of Carbondale as far as having access to civilaztion haha)

However there is also another thirty minutes to the east of giant city (email me for directions).. Fern Cliff not far from Goreville off route thirty seven.. simple to find and simply gorgeous.

Another place south in Union County is called the Pine Hills. Its amazing and Pamona natural Bridge, Little grand canyon. You will not believe the beauty and paradisaic feel of this area. Much can be found on the internet. If you want to go as far east as Garden of the Gods to plan a day trip it would be worth your weight in gold (no matter what your weight is )

hope that might help!

Carla