SIZE. I got into Leica for its diminutive size and weight: to be

able to carry it anytime and shoot without feeling conspicuous. The

Noct negates that very premise. Every time I unveil it I feel the

eyes of the world upon me: "Look at that huge lens!" "My, he must

be a professional photographer!" This is the very reason I got out

of my Nikon, Mongo-Lens outfit.

On the other hand, F1 is divine. I love the swirly, dizzy, out of

focus areas, and being able to shoot Velvia indoors. But I have a

love/hate relationship with the low contrast/softness of this lens.

But, it lives on my M6 full time. But, I always feel obligated to

shoot at F1. But, but, but... I dunno, I think waiting 10 more

rolls is warranted. Do any other Noct owners go through this

torture, or is it just me? Please share...

I will be flamed...fire away! ;>)

I wish I had a dime for ever "for sale" ad I've seen on this horrid Noctilux...I'd be rich.

I have this theory that Leica really goofed on this one and are covering their losses by promoting how great this piece of junk is supposed to be.

The only reason to buy it is to use it a F1.0...nothing else! Otherwise, you could use any other decent lens to much greater advantage. Also, I detest the images produced at 1.0! I can barely get an accurate RF focus at 2.0. How can you possible focus a 1.0 lens at 1.0, and the Bokeh is horrid.

To answer your question, never having used it, but seeing the results...Sell it fast...very fast...and get a solid, reliable, proven quality Leica lens!

I think there's another fairly big draw to the Noct- it's fascinating to have the fastest 35mm lens currently in production, and the best performer at f/1. Also, obviously doubling your shutter speed from f/1.4 is nice for stop action as opposed to the handholdability argument for the 35 lux.

Just enjoy its unique performance characteristics and images. Owning a Leica M might as well own the Noctilux, why not? :D I'm getting one soon...

Ken, you have found a bona fide use for the lens. It serves a specific purpose for you. The search for small size and low weight led you to Leica, but having arrived, you have made the additional discovery of the Noctilux. Can you get a collapsible Summicron for those times when you really need a small, lightweight outfit? Or maybe a 35mm Summicron?

If you sell the Noct I think you'll miss it.

Ken,

I would flip your original question on it's head and ask it this way: To use, or not to use (the Noct)?

Do you use it? Do you like the results? Can you live with an oversized lens? Can you use the money generated from the results for a lens that better suits your requirements?

These are questions that only you can answer.

I just sold mine. <p>

>>>Every time I unveil it I feel the eyes of the world upon me: "Look at that huge lens!" "My, he must be a professional photographer!" <p>

Nah, it's all in your head. A layperson's quick glance wouldn't be able to tell it apart from your plastic 28-70mm zoom toy sitting atop a EOS Rebel. <p>

If you think f1 is divine, then keep it. I can't think of a single reason for owning this lens other than to use it at f1. If you don't use it at f1 nearly enough to justify keeping it around, then sell it. Ultimately it's your decision to make...<div>004pJ3-12079884.JPG.c3568c175c3cc785fb3f66aff8bf3039.JPG</div>

Look at the bright lights in the background. That's what I hate. That's not Leica.

Please tell me: if you buy a 1.0 lens because it is a 1.0 lens are you buying it because it is the fastest Leica lens on this planet or because it will give you images that please you and have the traditional Leica look? Do you buy a car because it is the fastest car on the planet or because it fits your needs? If you buy that lens, then, the ONLY reason to use it is to use it at 1.0...is that what you want? I do think there are better ways to spend your money in photography. Too bad Leica has to stretch for gimmicks to make money and stay in business!

That's a lot of money for one stop!

True, it's not a necessary lens by all means, and costs a boatload. And, the 75 lux has the pleasing bokeh, along with others of course. But, aren't we all enriched by Leica's commitment to offer the finest performing fast lenses? >:D

I have had my Noctilux now for about six months or so. Mine is well matched to my camera and focus is easy and accurate. Moving subjects at f/1 are another matter of course. I use it as a general purpose lens with great satisfaction and few complaints. I love its freedom from flare -- unlike the Summicron -- and I frequently stop the lens "way" down and find myself at f/2 :-).

I was thinking of trading it for a 75/1.4 for the closer focus (my only complaint with the Nocti) and then I could sell my 90/2AA as well. However I just finished a slide show with a five foot screen and I just loved the images from the Noctilux at all apertures. I am keeping mine!

Ken, I also got into Leica's for the small size of the camera/lens combination. I wouldn't consider using anything that would spoil this purpose. If you have a use for an f/1 lens, then you must have and f/1 lens. The fastest lens I've owned in 30 years of photography was a 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor. That lens was stolen over 20 years ago and was never missed and never replaced. I shoot everything by existing light and I don't own a flash except for those built into the bodies of my Canons. Shooting by existing light doesn't always require the fastest lens.

A friend loaned me his Nocti for a while. I too found it a heavy ungainly beast to use, slow focusing, etc, and no match for the Summicron-M 50/2 in normal use. But then again, it produces unique and superb out of focus signatures and the light gathering power is sometimes just shocking. I learned to use it and began to realize that I preferred using it to the Summicron. That's when I handed it back as I couldn't afford to buy it.

Whatever makes the pictures you love is fine.

In my feeling F1 is perhaps a technical or scientific performance outsides of commercial cosiderations. By doing that Leica wanted to know the limits and add to their name.

F1 is in my op. not needed in available light or existing light photography. Learn and exercise shoting free hand at 1/15 1/8 or less or/and using a tripod and/or setting 1600 or higher whereever possible. Results are often a real surprise.

Jordi

I have been using the M system for 6 years and only recently did I begin to appreciate this beast. Why the M and not anything else? Because in certain situations the M is the best tool for the job. I was in Bangkok last month and shot a prayer ceremony inside one of the temples in Wat Po; If I had the R8 or 1v I would have left with nothing given the motordrive would have echoed through the walls. The Noctilux is also the sort of illogical, un-Leica beast that takes time to appreciate. I sold mine to a (former?) forum member just to buy another one a while later. The Noctilux is to me a must have next to the 35mm 'Lux ASPH.

The size of the Noctilux is the main problem for me since it blocks the finder quite a bit but I have learned to mentally overcome that, not through denial but through practice seeing the picture before putting the camera to my face. The weight really isn't the issue but rather the awkward balance on the M. I solved that by using the Tom A Rapidwinder and Rapidgrip on my .85 body. The handling is now perfect.

The Noctilux is not just about the speed. The difference between the Noctilux and Summilux is not just that one stop. And I too feel this lens is almost impossible to focus at f/1 at distances less than 3 meters. For such close distances I use f/1.4 and will shoot wide open only from 3 meters. You shoot at f/1 when the situation calls for it, and the dof from 3m down does not call for f/1 under the circumstances so don't feel guilty if you bought and expensive piece of fast glass to shoot stopped down. And even stopped down one or two stops the Noctilux will retain its creamy texture. Some people say the Noctilux is better than the 50mm Summilux at f/1.4 and some say the reverse but objectively the Noctilux is better at flare control since it was designed that way so in a night scene with light sources in the picture the Summilux does not equal to the Noctilux even when faster film is available. To my eyes the Noctilux has better texture than the 'Lux at f/1.4 or any aperture. Well what is "better texture"? That is for you to decide.

The Noctilux is my guilty pleasure. My photography usually requires more dof than what f/1 can offer and that was my reason for selling it the first time. I do mostly pictures of people in their environment and prefer the 35mm most of the time. But the Noctilux has opened up other possibilities. I had to adjust my technique when I switched to the M so I am open to exploiting the positives with the Noct. The Noctilux is my standard 50mm when my objective is photography. For walking around I prefer the Rigid Summicron. The contrast of these two lenses are about the same which I like.

This is my longest post here yet and to make it short don't sell it! Forget the hype and give it a chance. Pretend it is a Nikkor 50mm f/1.4. Use it at whatever aperture even f/5.6 if the situation calls for it. You will find it a beautiful lens under any situation at any aperture. IMHO there is a substitute for any Leica lens in another speed or in another brand but not the Noctilux. Learn to appreciate it and have fun.<div>004pMI-12082784.jpg.8ebdb7b19bf4f4d6af128f0ee5c8d225.jpg</div>

"The sun makes it's way to the horizon. Inky shadows lengthen

and spread ever wider, until blackness swallows the world.

Children pull the blankets tightly to their faces and strain to see

what lurks in the distant corners of their minds.

Night has come, a time when lesser photographic souls retire to

their warmly lit abodes. Suddenly a stirring of the noire scenario.

The "light drinker" itself awakes to roam. Hide your women and

children, the Noctilux is up and about in the land".

Ken,

<P>If you like the images, you will always regret selling it-- I dont use mine that often, but there are times when nothing else will do.

<P> Marc-- and I thought you were the proponent of daytime use for the noctilux! I just loaded mine up and am heading out to do some cemetery shots--Im counting the vignetting from the ND filter and maybe even an empty filter ring stacked on that for effect. (found a great cemetery at Telegraph and 5 mile).

There are only a few Leica lenses I've never owned or wanted to, and the Noctilux is one of them. I did however buy, sell and buy another 75 Summilux. It is also a beast of a lens and also blocks the finder. But its performance is much more even across the frame and much more usable at all apertures. With Noctilux (and 50 Summilux as well) I'd need to carry a Summicron for the non-f/1-f/1.4 shots, with the 75 I can use it for everything.