Cross post - copying digital images to film

h._p.

Might as well bring your original post here, since you didn't link to it directly:

"Has anyone come across a method of making a high resolution transparency or negative from a digital image? A Google search turned up various services for film makers but nothing that seemed to apply to stills.

I'm interested in this because I've got a few digital images that I'd like to archive and I'm afraid that twenty-five years in the computer business has left me rather cynical about the longevity of data.

Yes, I've read all the theory about how long CDs will last, but will we still be using CD compatible readers in twenty years time? If the last twenty years is anything to go by, the answer has to be 'no'. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My two cents after doing a little research on the subject a year ago... First off, the device that does this is called a "film recorder". Second, they are expensive, so your best bet is using a service bureau that has a really good machine. Third, the quality is pretty dismal for the most part, even from the best machines, BUT you apparently can get acceptable results if you generate 4x5 or larger films. A Google search will probably reveal more current data than what I have shared here...

My advice is to burn to Mitsui or Kodak "Gold" CDR's (200+ year shelf life) and archive those until the next best thing comes along that ultimately replaces CD's ;)

Cheers,

For all the enthusiasm of the techno-geeks to get the rest of us to chuck our terribly old fashioned film cameras into the ocean there exists one glaring reality when it comes to archiving images:

One of the least expensive ways to get top quality archival quality image storage is to buy a Leica camera and lenses and shoot either conventional B&W film or Kodachrome. You'll save so much money on buying, rebuying and updating yuor electronic digital crap that the Leicas will seem dirt cheap. Of course you can save a bit more money with other brands, but since the tech-heads are always screaming "the best!, the best!" regarding their over priced electronic crap, why not go with the best. See who has the last laugh.

Largely speaking, my view exactly.

On the other hand, there is a nice immediacy to digital and I'd like to be able to keep some of the images in a format I can see. There was a film recorder going cheaply on the US eBay so perhaps one will come up in the UK.