Canon 1Ds MkIII Servo AF question?

robert_bouknight1

Hello,  Long time Nikon user just playing with a (now) cheap 1DsIII.  I have most of the camera figured out, but can't figure out how to equate the servo AF system to the way I use my Nikons.  I understand switching from servo auto (sensors in a ring) to single point, but how do I set the camera to follow a subject around various AF points that I "select" with starting servo AF from a single point?  Or maybe the camera does this actually, but the documentation I have does not indicate this.  Playing around in single point, it seems that the camera is tracking that point, not the original subject.

Trying to relate to Nikon AF-C D9 or group from D3 or later cameras.  This is my preferred method to use these older but still viable DSLRs.  Typically the servo auto will pick up closest subject, which likely is different from where I want to track, such as the eye in a portrait.

And follow up question, is there a way to be able to use the joystick to move the single point around without having to "unlock" it with the AF/magnify button every time?

Thanks for any insights, Robert

Edited by robert_bouknight1

Reading the manual a few more times, it looks like "auto" (circle of AF points) in servoAF  starts on the center point, and follows the subject around.  It is not just the closest object, but whatever is (was?) in the center.  Looks like that works.  I can make this work for me.  

I am thinking that enabling the "expansion points" can make a single point more like the Nikon AFC-D9 I am used to (CFIII-8).

I'm still a bit fuzzy on how to set the camera to track what ever subject is initially focused on by a selected point as that subject moves to other areas within the array of AF points.