Canon scanner 9900F vs. Epson 3200

By the way, GraphicConverter supports Photoshop plugins.

Download ScanExpert and install the plugin in your <p>

~/Library/ApplicationSupport/GraphicConverter/Plug-ins/ <p>

directory. Launch Graphic Converter, pull down the File Menu and select

Acquire "CanonPI CS-U" -- this takes you to the scanning screen familiar to OS9

Toolbox users and automatically calibrates your scanner.

I have had the 9900F for 3 days now, and have just managed to scan slides on a regular basis. I place them in portrait mode, and leave a space where the first might go. So, seven slides in all. I have a dual boot W98 and XP, with seperate installations for both.

This now seems to work on both systems. If Canon could have told us, it would have saved me days of complete frustration.

I am a pensioner, and got the scanner to record various format and quality family material, mostly over 40 years old. The FARE system seems to work well, but the softened image comes back to life with fairly extreme USM in PS. It seems best to switch off everything you can in scangear. I suspect scangear was orinally written for the 8000, and should have a dedicated selection for slides, instead of expecting the preview to decide which film guide you are using, apparently by the position of the light coming through the slide. The parameters for this appear to have been written by an outfit called snake, and are found in CNQS9900.dat in the twain_32 directory. This seems to be called by TPM.DLL, the twain protocol manager. I contemplated adjusting the parameters, but may not need to now.

With scanning emulsion side down, surely we should expect an automatic horizontal flip.

I have been with P.C's for 20 years, and still do data recovery and trouble shooting on occasion. I am sincerely glad I have never been asked to install a 9900F.