Sekonic 408 calibration

jim_chow

I generally use my Rollei's meter for most shots, but in tricky situations (photos of dark green vegetation under dim lighting, etc.), I often use my sekonic 408 in incident light mode. I always seem to get drastically underexposed shots. Originally, I thought it would underexpose by about -2/3 so I adjusted the calibration to +2/3. I tried some test shots in a green house (overcast skies) of waterlilies for the sekonic vs. the camera's spot meter (spotted off a gray concrete pillar since I didn't have an 18% gray card). The camera's spot meter resulted in a shot that was about 1/3 stop overexposed while the sekonic was at least several stops underexposed (very dark). When using it, I placed the meter in front of the flower and pointed the dome towards the camera lens.

Has anyone had this kind of calibration problem? Can I set the camera lens to infinity

focus using the spot off a gray card under

overcast skies and calibrate the hand meter's reading to this? Since the hand meter is so far off, I usually don't even bother

carrying it. (I did have the ISO set to 40 for

velvia on both the camera and the meter).

I have a 408 and I do not have any of the problems that you are having. I assume that you are not using the dome in the recessed position and that the spot attachment was fully closed. I have gotten some bogus readings when I forgot to close the spot attachment or when it only got closed half-way. I was also wondering if your spot reading on the Sekonic matched the spot reading on your Rollei?

<p>

JM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I have a 408 meter, and it underexposes for about 1/2 stop. That is very obvious once I started using it in a studio with strobes, and other students had flash meters as well to compare against. I adjusted the meter via using built in calibration, and as long as the meter is consistent, will be happy with it. The meter is still under warranty, so I might send it to sekonic people to take a look at.

• 2 months later...

In a follow-up about the sekonic 408's calibration, I finally have

it adjusted so that the exposures match those taken by my Rollei slr,

which gives accurate exposures. Interestingly enough, my sekonic was

underexposing by exactly 1/2 stop, which is exactly what the other

commenter discovered with his.