Some of my images...

per_volquartz1

I must admit that I do have problems with this type of posting. It is basically an

advertisement for Per's website. This type of thing borders on self-promotion. Can all

of us promote our websites on the LF format like this?

I realize that Per, in some respects, was sharing his work with us. I applaud that . If Per

posted images on a non-business related site, such as PN, and then directed us to them,

fine. But, this is probably not within our guidelines.

I believe the moderator should remove this posting and others like it.

this isn't about jealousy. And I won't comment one way or the other on Per's work.

do we really want to turn this forum into a bulletin board for promoting everybody's

websites? I have a feeling that it would ruin it. It would for me.

Why don't we have a moderator clarify this practice. I believe these types of posts have

no business in the forum and should be deleted.

Hi Jon,

Sorry for having offended you.

As you may know I conduct Free workshops throughout the West, completely free of charge for aspiring photographers. Many people often ask to see my images. My post was intended as a response to such requests and also to offer a level of legitimacy to my Free workshops.

If however it is offensive to photo.net my post should be removed immediately.

Hey All,

I'm not "offended" and I don't think Per's intention was to generate income, etc, with his

post. I worry that it sets a precedence that might turn the LF forum into a promotional

mess.

Please read the original post. It comes across sounding very much like an ad (in my

opinion).....

Per did mention,

My post was intended as

> a response to

> such requests and also to offer a level of

> legitimacy to my free

> workshops.

Yes, I think you do a great service with these, too. I wish I could attend one. I wouldn't

have any problem if you referred people to your website in a posting that was talking

about the workshops. My beef was that the posting (which had no question or comment)

sounded like an ad for a nice-professional looking website that sold photography. There

didn't seem to be anything related to LF (other than your images were made with LF).

I agree that linking to work is an important part of this forum as long as it is nested in a

question or comment about LF (technique, assessment, or illustration of certain

techniques, results from workshops, whatever).

Sorry for the confusion. Really.

jon

Thanks, Per, for sharing your website and images. I enjoyed looking at your site and added it to my favorites list. I would like to be on the record as enjoying the mixture of this site. I see nothing wrong with including images and/or links. No one is forced to purchase prints, attend workshops, respond, or even read any of the postings. I have found most of the people on this forum to be considerate and helpful. The minority who grumble are perhaps just having a bad day; I wish them better days and try to ignore them on this day.

<b>Moderator:</b>

This is an appropriate way to share images. Pointing to a

site where there is some commercial activity is OK as long

as there is material to be enjoyed freely. Most photographers

will say that prints are for sale, but in fact for 10000 visitors

they might sell one print (and based on my experience, this

wouldn't be an excellent ratio). For the other 9999 visitors, they

are just sharing. However, what I would object to is repeated

postings of that type by the same photographer.

Last I looked, photography was about pictures, and how they got there, not endless pages (or screens) of just words. Knowing what the forum contributors are able to do punctuates the words they write about how they do what they do. This forum is also about the <em>people</em> who make LF pictures, past and present, and is one of the reasons why many of us come back to it. If you only want cookbooks, there are hundreds of volumes available through your local bookseller. If you want dialogue with LF photographers in real time, you're at the right place. I am seriously impressed with the calibre (and even some of the "names") of the participants. If any contributor is good enough to be able to seriously flog his work <em>and</em> share with the likes of me, whose pictures usually suck, how he does it, well, he can flash an add by me anytime he wants. This is the Large Format Photography Forum <em>at</em> Photo.net, not really the Photo.net Large Photography Forum. People who can't seem to find the grace to accept what is offered, whatever it is, with some degree of equanimity, might consider finding another sandbox to play in. Per, I've said this to you before - your ethos impresses, and now so does your work!