I generally like this kind of (urbex) imagery- but somehow both these leave me wanting more.

The top pic of the shed feels incomplete without any further context and to my eye isn’t interesting enough on its own. IMO the tree could add interest but as seen, its  features are indistinct. I’d probably have shot this all around, focusing on the tree truck against the structure among other things. Looking at the light it seems sunny but sorta looks like the sun was almost directly overhead?  Would the tree have provided enough protection to have shot from any direction? 

The 2nd shot is better to my eye, as I’m a fan of graphic-y things but the shot feels claustrophobic. The black negative space on the left side throws it way off balance- which sometimes imbalance and asymmetry can work well- but there’s not really enough anywhere else to offset the weight of that big black “bar”.  Again, I feel like a deeper sense of context would be helpful, but conversely, IMO you could crop that in  tighter to lose that aspect of the shot- and redeem it somewhat. 

Generally speaking, if I’m shooting digital (i typically shoot more film) and find myself shooting stuff I won’t be able to get back to again, I shoot a LOT then sift thru all I have to find the best one or two- or assemble a small series on each scene. Or even if I CAN go back… b/c why bounce back and forth. Document it endlessly and move on! 😊

Thanks for posting in critiques! 👍🏼

• Excellent! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 8:55 AM, Ricochetrider said:

The 2nd shot is better to my eye, as I’m a fan of graphic-y things but the shot feels claustrophobic. The black negative space on the left side throws it way off balance- which sometimes imbalance and asymmetry can work well- but there’s not really enough anywhere else to offset the weight of that big black “bar”.  Again, I feel like a deeper sense of context would be helpful, but conversely, IMO you could crop that in  tighter to lose that aspect of the shot- and redeem it somewhat. 

Were you thinking of something a little more like this? 

1670284254_20220825_134425-012.thumb.jpeg.ca88e66d23c3e98291a3fee708c52683.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Yes! 1