Mamiya super 23 (sure ain't no point and shoot)

I got a Mamiya super 23 off eBay today. came with a 100mm 3.5 lens, 65mm 6.3 lens, a 6x7 film back, a 6x4.5 / 6x6 / 6x9 film back, a ground glass focus screen, a cut film back. a couple of other assorted do-dads I'm still figuring out. I put a roll a XP2 thru the 6x7 back and a roll of Portra 160 thru the 6x9 configured film back.  and I'm please with the results (assuming I don't use the rangefinder part and focus using the ground glass Fresnel back). and except for 2 on each roll where I forgot to remove the dark slide (way too many thing to keep track of) 

20221229_180147.thumb.jpg.35379cb48c2f1aea895037b4fcb3267b.jpg

6x7 XP2 in the 6x7 back

mamiya-xp2-5.thumb.jpg.b2dc7594fb9db41e7ed366b535be0878.jpg

I seriously need to practice focusing using a loupe and ground glass.

Edited by Dave Carhart
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Dave Carhart said:

and I'm please with the results (assuming I don't use the rangefinder part and focus using the ground glass Fresnel back)

I've decided to use mine as a "large format" camera and always have it on a tripod, I guess you are already doing that, but my first and only attempt at using it so far was hand-held - never again. The camera needs to be rock-solid while turning the focusing ring when using the rangefinder, and the rangefinder patch is far too small for such a large heavy camera. As a Press camera, it lacks forethought in design IMO. When you figure it all out, it's probably more useful at slow pace for landscapes and portraiture photography, static stuff, given it has an accessory screen back and tilting rear bellows built in.

I will try it out again sometime, but I prefer the slightly smaller and lighter Press Standard, it's a fun camera I love using, hand-held even, and it has a larger RF patch.

I also decided not to use expired film in these two Mamiyas anymore. After all the work and time that's needed to set them up, you want the best results, so I would recommend using only fresh film, keep the camera steady (on a tripod) and use a cable release.

Congrats Davwe.. sounds like quite the haul there. .with multiple lenses and backs ... IF you're going to be using the GG-BAck, then sweapping out sheet film can be tedious. I like very much the 6x9 format and 6x7 is also good.  What Kmac sxaid though slowing it all down seems to be your approach as well. I use the roll backs, b/c of the convenience, Oh my kit is 2x3 Speed/Crown Graphic. 
Have Fun!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kmac said:

I've decided to use mine as a "large format" camera and always have it on a tripod, I guess you are already doing that, but my first and only attempt at using it so far was hand-held - never again. The camera needs to be rock-solid while turning the focusing ring when using the rangefinder, and the rangefinder patch is far too small for such a large heavy camera. As a Press camera, it lacks forethought in design IMO. When you figure it all out, it's probably more useful at slow pace for landscapes and portraiture photography, static stuff, given it has an accessory screen back and tilting rear bellows built in.

I had the intention of using this for "sweeping landscapes" when I bought it. and since it was obviously designed with visits to a chiropractor in mind. It will be permanently mounted on a tripod very close to the car. And yes, I've been wondering if I should have just bought a 4x5 system, but at least 120 film is cheaper then 4x5 film.

2 hours ago, Dave Carhart said:

it was obviously designed with visits to a chiropractor in mind

It seems amazing that these behemoths were meant to be humped around by press photographers, at a time when Rollei's were quickly being supplanted by Nikon F's in photojournalism. The only thing I've had remotely similar was the Koni Omega Rapid which seemed marginally less user unfriendly. My Press came without the hand grip but I made a bracket which screws on to the side tripod bush, and carries a remote cable so I can trip the shutter with my right finger more easily. I also replaced the light seals on the back, that towards the body with strips of sticky back black felt, and those around the film door with ordinary black knitting wool. Here it is:

PressPN.jpg

• Like 2

just a follow up.  the rangefinder in mine was waaaay off.  In case anyone else has one where the rangefinder needs adjusting (or a complete CLA). I found this YouTube video from Japan Camera Hunter. It's about an hour long and goes thru an entire CLA of the super 23. the adjustment part for the range finder is very simple, requiring removal of 3 screws and the top cover, then a simple 1 screw adjustment.  it also goes thru the CLA for the 100mm 3.5 lens.

link to youtube video  

Edited by Dave Carhart
forgot YouTube video link

It's definitely a beast. Mine pretty much has been in its case for the last 10 years. It takes a bit of effort to carry the thing around, but it does produce pretty decent images. I much prefer the Bronica R645, but it's developed the tight spool nut, so I need to get it fixed before I shoot with it again so it doesn't break the winding mechanism.

1272432852_MamiyaPress.thumb.jpg.8a2d041a9deda7f34b66b55102c1cb5b.jpg