Building site

Minox

• 3 months later...

Ask yourself, "What is this image about?" For me, it's about the rods and the shiny couplings. You can do a lot in post. Get rid of the extraneous stuff on the right and really bring up the couplings. The brightness of the brick in the center is a serious problem. With a lot of work, you can isolate it and tone it down. With the couplings emphasized, you also have to tone down the bright leaves at the top.

I like repeating patterns but here, the primary subject feels too isolated. I feel it would be a big improvment to back this out enough to provide some environmental context. Or just to put some space around the scaffolding, as the shot feels a bit claustrophobic as shown. This seems that isolated to my eye that as a stand-alone shot, it's not demonstrative enough to really hold its own. IMO a tight shot like this would work better in a series that would provide a stronger sense of the overall context of the titled, Building Site. What you've given us here is a detail of a building site with no sense of the actual site. If that makes sense? And this kind of brings me back to the title... which sets a certain expectation of what we'll be shown. 

Generally speaking, this is the kind of thing that my eye would be drawn to- repeating patterns with like lines and geometric symmetry all around. In the end, after a huge amount of trial & error, I've found that even tho something catches my eye, doesnt mean it makes an interesting enough photograph to really be captivating. IMO it's a good idea to shoot a scene multiple ways from all sides with your phone to figure out how best to show the intended subject, before committing it to film. A phone and any camera/lens are going to render things differently but having the ability to throw away multiple shots in order to nail down a final composition is invaluable in film photography.  

Keep shooting and do post more pix around the forum, please!

And thanks for posting in "critiques". 

Edited by Ricochetrider