2004 - 50th Anniversary of the Leica M

tony_rocha

I guess many of us are still pining for the MP, although the MP6 with

the leicavit is the one that we really want. But in another few

months we will be into 2004, which as you know is the 50th

Anniversay of the M3! How would you like Leica to celebrate this

important landmark in their history? My own wish is that they

produce a back to basics totally manual rangefinder camera like the

M2R, with uncluttered frame lines, but without compromising quality.

Hopefully, this will be priced at a level which would welcome the

budding young photographer into the Leica fold. I think there isn't

enough young blood among the lot of us and it is always encouraging

to see young people like Daniel (who recently purchased his dream M6)

bit by the Leica bug. If Leica is to survive in the long run, they

need to capture a wider and younger market. Would you like to share

your thoughts?

>>"Hopefully, this will be priced at a level which would welcome the budding young photographer into the Leica fold."<<

Let me get this straight. You want Leica to introduce a 50th anniversary edition M priced to allow younger users access to the camera? Great idea but I wouldn't hold your breath.

<<How would you like Leica to celebrate this important landmark in their history?>>

1) Engrave "50th Anniversary M" on an MP covered with fake Mongoose hide and have a total of 50 of them, each painted a different shade of the grayscale from black to white, wrapped in a copy of the Wetzlar Gazette from 1954 and packed in a steel ammo case welded shut at the factory so it can't be accidentally opened and the camera touched by human hands. This should satisfy the collectors.

2) Offer to retrofit all M7's with the MP rangefinder fix for $50. (This should help keep from blowing off a bunch of heretofore loyal customers like myself.)

3) Introduce a 12+ megapixel full-frame digital M works fit into an M-Motor casing and replacement back compatible with any motor-compatible M body. (This should help put them back into the camera business).

<I>...is the 50th Anniversay of the M3! How would you like Leica to celebrate this important landmark in their history?</I><P>

Besides photography, in my spare time I play guitar, usually Fenders. A couple of years back, the Fender celebrated its 50th anniversary. They did not waste time on a "special" model to mark the occasion. They instead did something else, and released a CD of music made with Fender guitars from that 50 years, from Buddy Holly to Clapton, country to rock, surf to grunge. Listening to the CD made me want to play my guitar, something that drooling over a photo of some �special edition� model wouldn�t be as effective at. For the guitar, it is about the music, and for the camera it should be about the images.<P>

Maybe Leica would do well to just produce a coffee table book of photography made with the M over the last 50 years, from every genre of subject matter. Someone made great photos with all of the cameras since the M3 to the M7, and viewing a compilation showing the potential of these cameras, rather than wishing for a camera that doesn�t exist might be a way to inspire people to use the cameras� even if it means getting a 40-something year old used body just to get started.<P>

It should be about 50 years of M <B>photography</B>, not M <B>fondling</B>, but I�m sure the collector�s edition is in the pipeline as we speak.

Sorry, but Leica doesn't cater to potential young users. They're set 150 per cent on their "exclusive" (read elitist) corporate image, and that simply doesn't fit making tools for "budding young photographer". Period. You won't see an entry Leica.<p><i>If Leica is to survive in the long run, they need to capture a wider and younger market.</i><br>I'm about to wonder whether they'll manage to survive by exploiting their specific market niche. Whether they will or won't, they're so set on their image that they can't get out without disappointing a major portion of their customers. Face it: a large number of Leica users would never buy/have bought Leica products if they weren't so exclusive. Now if you know German thinking, they'll rather stick to their endangered niche than taking the remotest risk of losing customers by broadening their product range.

That's why I guessed it was a Rapidwinder. The original Leicavit operated the film takeup as the MP did not have the motor driveshaft as in M4-2 and later. The "new" Leicavit will work--if Leica makes in in silver it'll go well with M6J's.