Trying Direct Positive on RA-4 materials in my 16x20" view camera

higherresolution

I have been a BW photographer for over 40 years, but recently saw a Youtube video on Direct Positive RA-4 prints, and had to try it. Two years ago I built a 16x20" camera which I use for studio work, and portraits and thought it would be perfect for trying this out. I used Fujicolor Gloss RA-4 paper, the standard Dektol paper developer and Arista's set of RA-4 chemistry. My son helped me and we were thrilled to get a result on the first try. The only real bummer is the severe color shift towards blue. Even with filtering I wasn't able to adjust it and decided to just go with it. My plan is to use my 14' wet plate trailer and take images in Southern Utah of Zion, Bryce etc. What I love most is that each print is one-of-a-kind, like a color Daguerrotype. I have attached images of the 16x20" prints, plus the camera I built and used to make these. Thank youIMG_1165.DNG

IMG_1162.png

IMG_1164-copy.png

Camera 1.png

• Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 10:09 PM, higherresolution said:

The only real bummer is the severe color shift towards blue.

Well, yes, because RA-4 paper is designed to counteract the orange mask of colour negative film.

Also, your Dektol first developer might not penetrate the colour layers of the paper evenly. Colour developer usually has an organic solvent added to assist in the developing agent penetrating the emulsion layers. And the whole process is designed to work at an elevated temperature, which also assists developer penetration.

I don't know if it's even possible to counteract the strong blue cast, but like cross-processing any film, it's never going to give perfect colour. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 9:10 PM, ed_farmer said:

Why would a direct positive paper be designed for printing color negatives?

RA-4 (Rapid Access 4) paper is designed for a negative-positive printing process using C-41 processed film negatives. As is RA-4 colour developer and blix. 

The only step that's been added is a B&W 1st development and reversal white-light exposure. 

So the paper is cross processed to give a positive, which it was never designed or intended to do. (Google the multiple YouTube videos for details.) 

The colour developer is also designed to work at 38 degrees C for 45 seconds in a continuous-transport roller processor, not in open trays at room temperature for several minutes!

Edited by rodeo_joe1
  • Like 1