Z Teleconverter TC-2.0x

chrismitchell

3 hours ago, chrismitchell said:

Nikon only lists four lenses on their compatibility page. 

Why would it be compatible with a 600mm f/4. Built-in 1.4x teleconverter lens?  Interesting.  At $15,000 I don't expect to find out why?

Since the new Z-mount 600mm/f4 TC was only introduced earlier this month, apparently some of their web pages have not been updated. The 400mm/f2.8 with built-in 1.4x TC is also compatible with the external 1.4x and 2x Z teleconverters. For example, if you dis-engage the internal 1.4x TC, it is a straight 400mm/f2.8. When you add an external 1.4x TC to the rear end, you get a 560mm/f4 lens. Now you can easily engage and disengage the internal 1.4x TC to switch between a 560mm/f4 and 800mm/f5.6 in a fraction of a second, much faster than adding and removing an external TC.

Likewise, starting with a 600mm/f4. An external 1.4x TC will make it a 840mm/f5.6. When you engage the internal TC, It'll be a 1200mm/f8.

Of course you can also add an external 2x TC first and then engage and disengage the internal 1.4x TC. You'll end up with a very long, very slow tele with a fair amount of image degradation.

BTW, the 24-200mm Z lens is not compatible with any Nikon Z teleconverters. There is insufficient clearance on the rear end. At this point, the following six Z teles are compatible with the Nikkor Z 1.4x and 2x teleconverters. This list may change as new lenses are announced:

• 70-200mm/f2.8 S
  • 100-400mm S
  • 400mm/f4.5 S
  • 400mm/f2.8 S w/ 1.4x TC built in
  • 600mm/f4 S w/ 1.4x TC built in
  • 800mm/f6.3 S PF lens

For example, the up-coming 200-600mm lens, which has been on the roadmap for three years, could potentially be compatible with TCs, but we won't know for sure until that lens is formally announced.

This is an outstanding answer.  So clear that I have no questions.

If you know all that, might you answer another question?

Is Nikon coming out with an 85mm f\1.4 lens?  Have you any guess as to when and how much it might cost?

Other than an 800mm lens that I can't afford, 85mm f-1.4 sounds like the best most desirable lens.

Edited by chrismitchell

56 minutes ago, chrismitchell said:

This is an outstanding answer.  So clear that I have no questions.

If you know all that, might you answer another question?

Is Nikon coming out with an 85mm f\1.4 lens?  Have you any guess as to when and how much it might cost?

Other than an 800mm lens that I can't afford, 85mm f-1.4 sounds like the best most desirable lens.

I thought you had no more questions. 😆

If you are talking about the up-coming Z-mount Nikkon 85mm S lens, besides the existing 85mm/f1.8 S, my guess is that the new lens will likely be a 85mm/f1.2 S to match Canon RF's two 85mm/f1.2 lenses. Previously a 85mm/f1.2 was very difficult/impossible to make with the smaller F mount, but now Nikon can take full advantage of the Z mount. Judging from the 50mm/f1.2 S, any 85mm/f1.2 S will be very big and heavy for a 85mm lens and will likely be over US$3000. But this is merely my educated speculation.

I have the Z Teleconverter TC 2.0X.  I use it with the Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S.  It is a huge improvement over the F mount 2x teleconverter that I have.  However, in my case, it defeats the purpose of switching to the Z system which was to take advantage of the high-quality Z lenses.  I have taken some nice photos with it, but I have not had any prints made from them.    I bought it while I wait for the Z 200-600mm lens to arrive.  And still waiting.

Edited by brian_niemi1