Minolta XD11 shutter problem

selly3

Hi everyone! I just got the XD11 and I've heard wonderful things about it so I can't wait to get out and shoot! I just have one problem, the shutter won't fire, except at the O, or B settings. The light meter is working fine. Is there another setting I'm missing to get it to shoot? 

When you say the light meter is working, I take it you mean that the LED's in the finder are lighting correctly, so that power is available. In that case can't think of any reason why the shutter would not fire in M, A or S modes. I don't think you  are doing anything wrong. The fact is that this was very complex cutting edge technology at the time and it's not surprising that things don't work properly after 40 years. Was it acquired as in full working order?

Yes, that’s what I mean. The red lights in the viewfinder are working.

Yes it’s supposed to be in full working order, but like you said, after 40 years, I can see why it might not be working perfectly. 

Do you happen to know what the O and the B even mean? I mean, I guess I could just use that with the automatic setting. I’m a newbie and any advice will be appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

No, ypu cannot use the camera that way, unless in an exceedingly limited fashion that would not do justice to what the XD11 is capable of, Your problem is quite puzzling, so let me try and understand:

- You said the shutter works on O and B. If this based purely on noise, or have you tried and fired the camera with the back open and saw the courtains moving (and staying open of B as long as you press the shutter?)

- .Do the readings in the finder indicate plausible values? Does the presentation change when you switch between M/A/S modes?

- So, you move the advance lever to cock the shutter, press the release but the shutter does not fire. What happens then? Does the shutter remain cocked with the advance lever blocked, or can you advance again?

Edited by bonsignore_ezio