Rocks by the sea

TRFOTO

Other members here are far better and more knowledgeable at critiquing than I am, but here's my 2 cents worth.

As far as I can see.  It's fine the way it is.  The low angle accents (don't know if that's the right word, but it'll have to do) the repeating pattern of the rounded boulders going back from foreground to the distant background.  The way you composed it (angled diagonally front to back)  adds a feeling of depth.  I believe the word is perspective.  If the eye wanders to the right side of the frame, the rocks in the water lead it back.  That misty sort of ground foggy treatment of what I'm guessing is the surf is a nice touch, and that includes the way the effect fades back to the horizon.  The colors of that fog, the color of the water on the horizon, and the colors in the sky have a kind of soft pastel look, that contrasts well with the more solid colors of the boulders.  Who sez a photograph isn't a piece of art work. 

Izzy From Brooklyn

The beautiful side lighting helps to accentuate the shapes of the stones. Great sense of depth. The long shutter speed to blur the water gives an ethereal quality to the scene. To my eye, I have some reservations about the placement of the horizon being in the middle of the image, but overall I do think that having that much sky in the scene adds to the sense of immensity of the landscape. Quite enjoyable.

As others have said, this is a very nice scene. I think you've used the long exposure is to good effect here to create the 'ethereal effect' in the sea. Long exposures of moving water can sometimes become a cliche but that's not the case here. IMHO, there's a good balance which ensures that there's still enough 'texture' and 'movement' visible in the sea to maintain visual interest. The sea looks like a 'swirling mist' rather than being 'flat'.

This is one of those photos for which you IMHO have (at least) 2 options:

- let the viewer enjoy the whole scene (pretty much as is, even with a modified horizon)

- Visually draw the viewer's attention to a section of the photo that you feel is most interesting.

For me, one of the most interesting parts of the photo are the two rocks in the sea surrounded by the 'swirling mists'. With the 'swirling waves' trailing away to the left.

At the moment, these are just 'part of the scene' with the (masive) 'visual weight' of the boulders left drawing the most attention. So you might want to experiment with a tighter cropping (Top, left and perhaps bottom) to bring the rocks and mist more 'into the photo'. My guess is that would be plenty of round boulders left over to set the scene in the foreground.

Great shot, love the giant pebbles.

I've cropped the top to lift the horizon a little, and cropped the left side to bring attention to what I believe is the main interest in the scene. To my eye, the "surplus" stones that I've cropped out were a little distracting. This image looked fantastic full screen, and the stones are up in your face. But while I was doing that, I noticed the depth-of-field is a bit short, so a slightly longer depth-of-field would have been an improvement IMO

I think it was well seen, fairly well executed, and a damn good use of side lighting.

287694184_StonesAdjustments.jpg.e188a36c34433e019efa616fa8af4e95.jpg

• Like 2