W/NW 2022 Pic-O'-The-Week #43

allancobb

14 minutes ago, httpwww.photo.netbarry said:

Here's the lovely Decco building next door to Allan's church.

image.thumb.png.2fd50f2f74aa57a8d0ca8c0a021d7530.png

Looks more 'brutalist' to me, rather than art deco. They lived an architectural life with overlaps. I was never a fan of art deco; in my youth I called it 'art drongo'. A brief and unwelcome blip on the radar of architecture, particularly after the opulence of the art nouveau of the likes of Rennie Mackintosh and Alphonse Mucha, and the rest. But you've caused me to re-think my assessment.  It's a good shot, photonetbarry.  There are two 'classic' art deco buildings in my rural backwater - the local catholic church, spoiled by electricity poles and wires, and a remaining facade of a now deceased local cinema; the facade lives on, but the cinema has been demolished and replaced by a storage facility.  I'll try to get a photo of them this week. I like your shot. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, arthur_mcculloch2 said:

Looks more 'brutalist' to me, rather than art deco. They lived an architectural life with overlaps. I was never a fan of art deco; in my youth I called it 'art drongo'. A brief and unwelcome blip on the radar of architecture, particularly after the opulence of the art nouveau of the likes of Rennie Mackintosh and Alphonse Mucha, and the rest. But you've caused me to re-think my assessment.  It's a good shot, photonetbarry.  There are two 'classic' art deco buildings in my rural backwater - the local catholic church, spoiled by electricity poles and wires, and a remaining facade of a now deceased local cinema; the facade lives on, but the cinema has been demolished and replaced by a storage facility.  I'll try to get a photo of them this week. I like your shot. 

A lot of old movie theaters in Southern California used that elaborate almost rococo facades.  And Los Angeles has a lot of Decco influenced buildings from pre-WWWII era.Here's one of the "Eastern" building constructed in 1930. Another is the 
Wilshire Blvd Bullocks (not Bollox:) building which I never photographed and it was finished a year earlier then the Eastern and is one of the 1st Art Decco buildings in the U.S.

I've posted this photo before.  Ok hope any of this is interesting to someone. 😉

5757210797_b42d4e2240_o.jpg

• Like 4