Sony A7R IV vs. A7R V

gary_anthes

I will soon upgrade my Sony A7R iii to either the iv or v.  The v will cost me maybe $1,500 more and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I don't care at all about video, or about eye- or face-tracking  AF, by deep learning or otherwise. I care a lot about hand-held, low light still photography, about good autofocus in low light, and about good high-ISO performance. The jump from 5.5-stop IBIS in the iii to 8 stops in the v is attractive, but would I notice it as a practical matter? The jump to 61 mp in either the iv or v is important.  What are your thoughts?

Well, tha A7RM5 is out, and has some interesting improvements. The sensor is the same as in the M4 version. Of particular interest...

• Many new AF options, particularly animal and object recognition
  • A fully articulated LCD screen
  • 8K video (with an odd cropping factor, p30 max)
  • A full-sized HDMI port
  • A high resolution EVF (9.xx MP)
  • Flash with the electronic shutter
  • Automatic focus staging

Am I persuaded to trade in my A7Riv? Probably not.

Thanks for the summary of improvements Ed.

I have the A7Riv. The only improvement that I'd find really useful is the fully-articulated screen; even then only useful very occasionally. 

Personally, my thoughts are:

8K video? Who owns an 8K viewing device? Most people don't even have a 4K 'telly' yet. So most general-public customers will see no difference at all. 

"Flash with the electronic shutter" - if that means you're not limited to the crazy 1/8th second synch speed, then that is a sensible improvement. It's of little consequence for general flash use with the mechanical shutter, but for 16 shot pixel shifts, it is a big deal. 

"Full-sized HDMI port." Of no interest to me at all, and you can buy an adapter for peanuts. I suppose it brings some marginal extra convenience for tethered work. 

"Automatic focus staging" - presumably that's focus-stacking. How automatic? In-camera combination, or needing external software like pixel-shift? And I'm guessing the fineness of focus step will be limited by the 'fly-by-wire' of the lens motor. 

"New AF options" Again, I can live without those, but it might interest some. Seems a bit out-of-place on a high megapixel camera though. I'd have thought that 'run and gunners' would have opted for the S version. 

"Higher rez EVF" - I can't detect the pixels of the one I have, and it's more than adequate for critical manual focus. So I doubt I'd see much, if any, improvement.

My advice to the OP is to hold fire until the 5 has been in the hands of a few independent reviewers, and to see if the price of the 4 drops. Because there was a considerable discount on the 3 when the 4 came out. But the 4 will remain a fine and viable camera for some time yet IMO. 

Edit as an afterthought: I suspect the AF options and focus-stacking are just implemented in firmware, with no need for a hardware change. So I wonder if Sony will offer a significant firmware upgrade for the 4?

Edited by rodeo_joe1

A full-sized HDMI connector is more secure and durable than the usual micro HDMI connector. People who use HDMI tend to use it a lot. An adapter is okay, especially  if it consists of a short cable rather than a one-piece plastic insert, and you use it with a strain relief. For video, the A7Siii is a far better choice, and has no cropping factor for 4Kp60.

If you're buying a 7R for the first time, the M5 probably makes sense. If you're looking for a bargain, the M4 costs less now, and will probably drop in the near future.