Nikkor 80-200 for D800?

peter_johansson4

So I'm in thought of buying an used Nikkor 80-200 due to the cheap prices...
There are six different versions, but the first three versions seems be the cheapest ones.
 https://radojuva.com/en/2012/11/obzor-nikon-ed-80-200-mm-2-8-d-af-mkii/

Im going to use it for potrtaits only on my D800, I have a few concerns the I hope maybe you can answer.

1) How slow is the autofocus compared to other Primes like for an exampel 85 1.8G?

2) Some users praise the sharpness and contrast but I aslo read that some versions lack a bit of contrast.

3) Is is possible to use an SB-900 and get it to work well with all versions?

4) I read that users give the tips to not buy the AF-S version due to a common problem with the motor.

A push/pull lens is great to shoot sports, I like my old push/pull zooms.  But maybe not so good to shoot portraits.  YOU have to think about how YOU will use the lens.  Some people like me love push/pull zooms, others HATE them.

A push/pull lens usually does not have a tripod collar/foot, so if you want to use it on a tripod, you may not be able to mount it on a tripod. 
Old advice, "if you have it, you can use it, if you do not have it, you cannot use it."

For thinking of the future, you want the AF-S version of the lens.  The mechanical AF lenses while still good, NEEDS to have a camera with an AF motor in the body. 

1) As for how fast they autofocus, I've put a mechanical AF lens on a pro body, and the lens will AF as fast as any AF-S lens that I have.  It comes down to the motor in the body. 

3) As for your flash, the lens should not make a difference.

4) For OLD lenses, if the AF-S unit fails, Nikon may not have the spare parts to replace it, and the lens is effectively dead.

I have the 80-200/2.8 D push pull, two of them actually. I use them on my D800 and 810 with no problem. I really like the color rendition I get through that particular version. As for autofocus speed I never paid attention but it does the job well without my noticing it so it must work well. Pricing isn’t bad either.

Rick H.

Used to have the 2 ring version D  for use with d800. Soft at the extremes but lovely in the middle. No problems a bit of downsizing won't solve. The plastic M/AF selector ring is prone to breaking so check this but not always, mine never did. AF is slow but not really a problem for portraits I reckon. I'd recommend that version as it has the tripod collar but no motor. I sold mine with some regrets but worth doing for me as part of a rejig of kit.

2 hours ago, keith_burdett said:

Used to have the 2 ring version D

Same here. On some camera bodies, there was an issue with the focus being off towards the longest focal lengths and the closest focus distance; fix required sending camera and lens to Nikon for calibration. I didn't like the way the lens balanced - a bit too front-heavy. Tried to acquire the AF-S version several times but finally gave up as I could not find a clean example - they all had some large specks inside the optical system. Was quite happy with the first version of the 70-200 VR but eventually gave it up for the 70-200/4 as I didn't really need f/2.8 that often and was happy with the weight savings.

I have used the gen 2 push pull 80-200/2.8, the AFS version, and now own a 70-200/2.8 VRI.  The push pull V2 had adequate focus speed, I am pretty sure focus is faster than the earlier first version.  The AFS version was sharper at close distances near 200mm.  I would be hesitant to buy any of the first version AFS lenses in 2022, I had several fail and repair is probably not available now.

For portraiture, I recommend looking in to the first version 70-200 VR that is not very expensive these days.  The lens has a reputation for being "not good" on full frame.  I find that the slightly darker and softer FX corners create a nice look for portraiture.  I preferred it to the squeaking 80-200/2/8 I had, and to the screw drive zooms.  The VR is a nice feature to have, also.  I have not used a 2 ring 80-200 screw drive but performance should be similar to the V2 push pull.

In comparison to an 85/1.8g, all of the 2.8 zooms except for the very first version should equal or exceed the 1.8g "real world" focus speed, which is fast enough for most sporting events.  It has been a long time, but I think I shot soccer with the V2 2.8 with success.  There was not enough light in our local HS BB gym for a 2.8 lens on a DSLRs before the D3 generation.

• Like 1

For hand holding, I also recommend the Nikon 70-200mm f4 and the Nikon 85mm f1.8. I do a lot of pet portraits with these lenses on my D800 and D850. On my Nikon bodies they both seem to focus at the same rate. For tripod use, I use my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 or my Nikon 200mm f4 macro lens as both have tripod collar feet that makes switching from horizontal to vertical very easy.