a broader feedback here. Reacting to previous posts I read "Edge of

Darkness" by barry thornton. My PMK tests are still preliminary and I

do not mind switching gears. My initial tests and a few negs are tuned

for variable contrast paper. But now I am thinking to standardize on

graded grade 2 paper. It appears I may then typically print on grade 2

(graded paper) and if I think the highlight contrast reducing effect

on VC paper may be desirable I should be able to print around grade 3

on VC paper.

Standardizing on graded 2 works for me. But really I don't do it for the high value contrast. I do it because this is what I've done for many years. My long-time standard has been Tri-X in HC110 on Brilliant #2. Now that my supply of Brilliant is almost gone, I'm switching to Oriental #2. I've also been getting to know PMK and tuning it to the same standard, using Zone VIII as the target value.

That said, I've been using VC papers more and more...in fact I probably use VC more often than graded now. I would say standardize your system to whatever paper you use the most. I don't see any problem to standardizing on VC; consistency is the key.

One word of caution however...I think that your VC standard should remain near a real grade 2 or 3. Depending on your light source, you could get way out of whack. You could test your VC paper and filters to determine the actual contrast grades you're getting (see Anchell's 'Variable Contrast Printing Manual'), or;

Here's what I would do, and still might do at some point: match your VC filtration to a graded 2 paper. With a neg that prints well on graded 2, make an unmanipulated standard print. Then make another on VC and match the first as close as possible. That filtration will make a good standard starting point.

Whatever you do, keep in mind that your process is an evolving thing, tweaked constantly over the years, so don't sweat the small stuff, and keep taking pictures!