"warmifying" black ink on a dye printer

For years I made and still make an Eboni based ink on my Paul Roark inkset. The Eboni is a bit warm to some folks, but using QTR I can vary the influence of a coolant in the Y position. I'm sure there are many of you have done this.

Now I have a Canon ink printer and I like it in many ways. But out of the box I'm getting a black I find rather cold and sometimes even bluish. Almost the opposite! Is there some way to "warmify" my output? Generally speaking, is there a way to warm or cool the black dye? Or the black pigment cart? My printer is the Canon iP8720. One of its cartridges is a pigment black whereas the other five are dye.

I use my printers as I would in the darkroom, to print so-called art photos in black and white.

TIA!

Edited by PaulWhiting
www.paulwhitingphotography.com

Sorry, I am unlikely to ever acquire anything inkjet myself. For that reason I am not informed if your printer utilizes cartridges with "I am genuine and decided to declare myself empty" chips and who might have hacked those.

Are there 3rd party pigment ink makers? If yes, I 'd look up Pantone tones close to my liking and ask for a quote.

@Ed_Ingold 's suggestion above is by far the easiest way out, for an image.

Given a choice, I print (CMYK) using "process black," which is three colored inks plus a little black. It gives a warm tone, without over-saturating the paper as in the RGB mode.

Thanks Ed, those are new concepts for me!

Sorry, I am unlikely to ever acquire anything inkjet myself. For that reason I am not informed if your printer utilizes cartridges with "I am genuine and decided to declare myself empty" chips and who might have hacked those.

Are there 3rd party pigment ink makers? If yes, I 'd look up Pantone tones close to my liking and ask for a quote.

@Ed_Ingold 's suggestion above is by far the easiest way out, for an image.

Thanks Jochen, but I think my 3rd party pigment inks are under control.

In offset printing "process black" is the fairly low pigmented black ink, used for 4c printing. For other purposes there are intense (or deep?) black inks with more pigments. Of course nobody bothers to wash down process black and print images with something else. Which gives a choice between a rather grey image or overinking and getting a lot of dot gain that way. Thats why CMYK printing BW images makes sense. You could even ponder printing them wirhout UCR, which means more ink in total and related troubles while waiting and hoping for it to dry.

Sorry, what do you mean by your third party inks are under control? Excluded by Canon? Your original question sounded a bit as if you were mixing your own inks.

Jochen,

I've never had to define third party, but let me try... first party would be the manufacturer of the printer, the second party would ink made by the same company, and third party would be a company manufacturer other than the first two. Some third-party companies take great pains to get as close as they can to the manufacturers' specs. Myself I use about four different dilutions of black in my six-cartridge Epson so I do mix my own inks with a base fluid made mainly of Eboni black and glycerine.

That's the best I can describe third party!

Since my first post I've done some experimenting. By chance I happened to use two grades of paper, one white and one a rather warm white. The latter is all the warmth I need, it's the KISS principle in action. No need to get into the complications of different inks, just change the paper. I wonder how that stray sheet of pure white got into my paper source.

Paul

• Like 1