Why can't I get snaps out of my D5500 like I can my D7100

davidbrown57

I have a D7100 and bought a D5500 as a travel camera. I like its light weight and smaller body form. I have them set up the same - P and matrix meeting but on the D7100 most of my snaps come out correctly exposed whereas on the D5500 half are over exposed and half are under exposed - any idea how I can alter things on the D5500 to make it easier to get good exposure like on the D7100 Ta David

I have a D7100 and bought a D5500 as a travel camera. I like its light weight and smaller body form. I have them set up the same - P and matrix meeting but on the D7100 most of my snaps come out correctly exposed whereas on the D5500 half are over exposed and half are under exposed - any idea how I can alter things on the D5500 to make it easier to get good exposure like on the D7100 Ta David

I always double-check before thinking it is equipment error - which happens in much less frequency than human error.

If you have not done so yet, this is what I would try:

(1) Set metering mode to Matrix - so that it will get an over-all average exposure reading.

(2) Make sure there is no auto-bracketing.

(3) Point to an average scene where there is little or no contrast of highlight and shadows. Make several shots and compare them.

(4) If the camera is behaving correctly (where you had not set auto-bracketing), the images should be similar if not identical.

Good luck.

I have just reset the custom settings on the camera and the -2EV has gone and this is the result. Looks much better. Will try tomorrow to see if happier with results Thanks for suggestions

[ATTACH=full]1429422[/ATTACH]

Happy ending. Yay! :)

I confess. I have made the autobracket error and gotten home to find multiple shots ruined as bright/dark. Fortunately, even with digital I tend to take multiple shots, so can usually salvage one of them.

I confess. I have made the autobracket error and gotten home to find multiple shots ruined as bright/dark. Fortunately, even with digital I tend to take multiple shots, so can usually salvage one of them.

Rest assured you are not alone. :eek:;):D

Back in 2007, the D300 had an auto-bracket button that was pretty easy to engage unintentionally. I immediately ran into that problem within the first couple of months. My pictures came in batches of 3, 1 stop over, normal, and 1 stop under. One stop was relatively easy to correct in post processing. Off by 2, 3 stops maybe trickier to correct.