Benbo Tripods

alec

Hey there,

I'm trying to find a good tripod for macro photography, and I thought

I was going for the Benbo 1 or 2. But a post on this site about

Benbo Tripods has me questioning their stability.

Problem is, my equipment is heavy. I've got the Canon Elan 2 with

the BP-50 battery back, 100mm f2.8 Macro lense, the MT-24EX macro

flash, and I'll probably be wanting to add a focusing rail and maybe

an extension tube. With all this weight, I'm not sure if the Benbo

tripod will handle it well.

I need something stable, and I need a boom arm to get close to the

subject for some good macro shots. And the closer to the subject I

get, the more stability I'll need.

Any suggestions? The Benbo is the only tripod I've seen that will

clear it's own legs to get close to the subject.

Thanks!

--Alec

The only really stable tripod is a pyrimid with the camera at the apex. However Benbo style tripods are rigid as long as you don't extend the centre column. On occasion when I have had to extend the column to its full extend (fungi in tree) it was very very unsteady and near useless. On this occasion I braced the camera with some heavy fallen Beech branches.

The thing to watch with a Benbo is that you MUST hold the centre column when you loosen the lock, else you will smash your camera.

I had a Benbo Trekker (the entry level model) and it was very poorly made, with several bits falling off and expiring after 18 months of amateur use. I would suggest that you check out Uniloc. I have had a Uniloc for 4 years and it is excellent. The only problem is that the centre column lock is a bit stiff. The Gitzo Explorer is worth checking out too.

Is reversing the centerpost and hanging your camera etc. upside down from it an option? Its a nuisance, but seems to work well for ground-level subjects, and stability just isn't an issue. If its not an option, well, then its no help at all.

If you're going use flash, why bother with a tripod at all? The flash will stop motion very effectively. If your gear is too !@#$ heavy, use lighter equipment. Also, if your subjects are mobile a tripod is more of an impediment than an aid.

TTL autoflash gives no great benefit close up. With the right geometry, ordinary flashes give correct exposure +/- about 1/3 stop with no adjustments or thinking at all while shooting. Flashes with controllable output, e.g., Vivitar 283s with VP-1s, give full control and won't be confused by the subject's reflectivity or lack of it. Modern technology still isn't a good substitute for thinking the problem through and doing the math.

Hey Leif,

What I meant by a "boom arm" is my poor terminology for a center column that tilts.

Thanks all for the immediate responses. I'll check back for other comments too. My flash is excellent, but I expect to still need + 1/20 exposures to achieve the greatest depth-of-field.

Again, thanks to all.

--A

You don't necessarily need a 'boom arm' for macro shots. At least not a long one, a few inches is usually more than enough. A few people I know have either removed the centre column from their Benbos or have shortened them, and they have no problems shooting macro.

There is a picture on the Gitzo web site of an explorer tripod setup on rocks, with the centre column fully out and pointing down. The camera is virtually upside down pointing at the flowers in the rocks.

http://www.gitzo.com/news/details.php3?newsid=3

I've seen similar promotional pictures for the Benbo and Uniloc and while it may illustrate their versatility it is *not* how you usually use them.

Well I don't use my Benbo mk 1 in that fashion. The tripod is always setup as low as possible usually with the camera on top. A few inches of centre column is usually all that is needed to get the camera close to the subject. I use a similar 100mm macro setup to you and the Benbo mk 1 is plenty stable enough. I also use 200/4 and 300/4 lenses with extension tubes for closeup work on it with no problems at all.

As the tripod gets lower and the legs wider, you can then get away with more centre column extension if needed.

The strength of these tripods (Benbo/Uniloc and Gitzo explorer) for macro work is the fact that you can set the camera at *any* level from the ground to the max tripod height. You are not limited to a few preset leg positions.

If you are serious about macro you should check these tripods for yourself. I can thoroughly recommend the Benbo mk 1. I use it for just about anything from macro to birds to landscapes. It is my main everyday tripod.

I think the Benbo and similar Uniloc model might be a bit more flexible than the explorer. For one thing the legs revolve 360 degrees around the central bolt. Also the central bolt design means they are very quick to set up. For low level work you loosen the bolt, set the legs then tighten the bolt. And for higher level work you only have one set of leg controls to work with.

Having said that, as they only use 2 leg sections the mk 1 does not go that high. For me at 5'9" I have to extend the centre column 2" for landscape work, unless I stoop.

One last thing in favour of the Benbo/Unilocs, is that they have wider leg sections at the bottom and so are ideal for use in water or mud.

Without a doubt the Benbo mk 1 is my favourite photography item, cameras and lenses included :-)

• 9 months later...
I use a Mk1 Benbo and it is plenty sturdy. I agree with Richard Tynan about it's suitability. If you extend the column out all the way and place a heavy load on it physics tells you that it will not be the steadiest thing in the world. Use a support to steady teh center column at full extension. I use a Bogen articulated arm on occassion if necessary to steady various camera tripod setups. Works like a charm when that little bit of extra support is needed.