Street Scene Old Cartagena

MrAndMrsIzzy

Current project = getting images cataloged and keyworded. In the process I come across stuff that hasn't been edited but I think should be. This was one of them. This is the edited version. Comments, critiques, suggestions for future reference, etc. welcome[ATTACH=full]1417338[/ATTACH]

I like photos where there is a lot going on and you can look from scene to scene. There is a pleasing repeating pattern of colour especially yellow and blue that links the scenes. The ladies waiting outside the shop are the main point of interest. For some reason I would like to see the passengers in the carriage. Well worth keeping.

• Like 1

Hi, just a couple of points you might to play around with:

- my screen is not calibrated so it might just be me but the photo looks on my screen just a little on the bright side; adjusting the brightness just a touch might give more 'vibrance' to lighter colors such as yellow (taxi)

- the lady on the left is 'exiting' the photo; cropping her out leaves the boy (turned inward towards the photo) as a kind of 'bookend' for the group on the left

Unlike @charles_escott_new, the shoppers aren't for me the main point of visual interest. For me, there are three main areas of 'visual areas': the horse and carriage with the taxi behind, the market, and the group of shoppers on the left; On the one hand, the 'modern' shoppers provide an interesting contrast with the other 2 areas. On the other hand, the shoppers don't IHMO add much to the other 2 areas. One option just to try out is cropping the group out completely, leaving the horse & carriage as a clear 'subject' with the market as background.

• Like 1

@mikemorrell, I also don’t find the shoppers on the left a main point of interest. To me, yellow is the main point of interest here, and that’s where I’d probably start in thinking about post processing this.

But a thought about cropping out the shoppers which I likely wouldn’t do. A lot of street work benefits from a feeling of activity and what I’ll call street texture, stuff happening that’s not necessarily a focus but that provides a sense of the street. Rather than crop here, I might simply explore ways to punctuate the photo with such activity that brings charm and coherence instead of run-on-sentence.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Mike, Sam, good points both. The woman exiting bothered me too but cropping her out I felt wouldn't leave much breathing room for the boy. Cropping him out I felt would crowd the two woman. Cropping out the shoppers (as Sam pointed out) wasn't a good idea either. Taking another look however did result in a plan. Stay tuned.
Izzy From Brooklyn

Reading Mr. Morrells' post I like what he says about contrasts and links between the scenes, the shop and the street market, the horse carriage and the taxi. Intrigued to see what MrAndMrsizzy come up with. Please don't crop out the shopping queue, at my advanced age I cannot afford to miss out on any opportunities of being reminded how beautiful women are, Charles.
  • Like 1

Please don't crop out the shopping queue, at my advanced age I cannot afford to miss out on any opportunities of being reminded how beautiful women are, Charles.

With apologies to Charles (I hope you don't mind). (G)

Here's where the version 2 stands right now. You can pretty much see where I'm going with this.

D013012G001-1V2InPrgrs.jpg.083dd6f2b26d655e4de34adac77615b4.jpg

In this version, that blue awning (I think) is a distraction. That being the case, I'm trying to get rid of it by turning it into what I'll call a shelf (for lack of a better term)

or the top part of those two blocks of stone just below and to the left of that balcony (or whatever it is). Not quite sure how to show the joints going back along that slope to the back wall and the balcony (basically defining the edges of those two blocks). Hope I've explained it well enough. Any suggestions?

Izzy From Brooklyn

Please don't crop out the shopping queue, at my advanced age I cannot afford to miss out on any opportunities of being reminded how beautiful women are, Charles.

With apologies to Charles (I hope you don't mind). (G)

Take heart Charles. I'm working on a V3 version that takes into account Mike's suggestion of cropping out the woman exiting, and my concern of breathing room (so to speak) for the boy......Izzy

Izzy From Brooklyn