Improved Scanning System

frank_horn

The link to the site is fine.

Digital GEM has been around for a while & is built into a number of scanner's software already. This option is simply a PS plug-in for those who do not already own it.

My experience is that it's okay, but not spectacular by any means...

Do you mean the Kiosk system where you insert undeveloped cartridges and out come a burned CD with your images (and prints etc.)? If so, I have tried it. It is very convenience, reasonably priced. Quality wise, I'd rate it as a decent scan of may be comparable to a 2800 DPI scanner. Certainly not as good as the scans from the Nikon 4000 DPI scanner.

So for snapshot stuff, sure. Otherwise, the tradeoff of not having the negatives is too great.

It is impossible given current technology to even detect that film is exposed (for the most part), let alone scan it. The number of silver atoms formed it on the order of parts per billion, it's amazing that this can be developed but it won't be scanned.

Likely you're just looking at another one of the exposed film in, prints and scans out machines that develops and then scans and prints.