Nikon Z9, Teaser #3

ShunCheung

FTZ-D (screwdrive)

I doubt Nikon will release one of those. I imagine it would have to be larger than the current FTZ because it needs to house an additional motor. Also, I doubt that screwdriver lenses work well with the mirrorless' AF algorithms.

In any case, doesn't matter to me as I no longer own any screw-driven AF lenses.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer

D780 live view autofocuses AF Nikkors pretty well so there is no reason not to have the support of screwdriver AF Nikkors in the adapter except additional complexity. Sony have an adapter which has no bulge and it focuses Sony/Minolta screwdrive AF lenses though user reports are varied in regards to which products are compatible. It seems to prove that it can be done but doesn't seem to be a finished implementation. The bugs and incompatibilities do not take away from the fact that it is compact and houses all the needed parts without bulges. It can be done.

The FTZ is compatible with MB-N11 vertical grip so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with the Z9. Of course, fingers having enough space is another question. Another, improved adapter is, of course, very welcome.

The difference between Minolta and Nikon is that Nikon has quite a few pretty big AF/AF-D lenses. There were actually two versions of the 300mm/f2.8 that used screwdriver AF from the "stone age," but I would imagine that next to nobody is still using them now. However, there are still three versions of the 80-200mm/f2.8 AF/AF-D (way back in 1989, I paid $1000 for the first version of 80-200mm/f2.8 AF, pre D) and a 300mm/f4 AF. A Nikon adapter will have to include a pretty strong AF motor to drive those big lenses.

If all you need to drive are some 50mm/f1.4, 24mm/f2.8, 20mm/f2.8 type AF-D lenses, the motor requirement is much simpler. I actually still own a 24mm/f2.8 AF-D, but its optical formula is the same as the 24mm/f2.8 AI, pre-AI-S, I bought back in 1978. There is little point to use such ancient lenses on Z bodies now. Z lens designs have improved drastically because they don't need to leave so much space behind the rear element for the mirror. Other than telephotos that have no Z equivalents yet, I am not using any F-mount lenses on Z bodies.

Edited by ShunCheung

There are some lenses that are only available in screwdriver AF designs, e.g. the DC Nikkors, the 200mm f/4 Micro and then there are those of us who like a particular lens's rendering; although I replaced my 85/1.4 AF D with the AF-S G version, I kind of miss some of the way the older lens made images look, more colour contrast (the G AF-S version is more neutral) somehow. I did hate the imprecise AF and often stopped the AF D lens down a bit (to f/1.8 or f/2.5) but still I think that lens offered something different from the current ones. In the spring I used the 200 Micro with autofocus to photograph frogs and no other Nikon lens would have given those images. There is also the 70-180 mm Micro-Nikkor that offers unique framing flexibility in a lens for close-ups.