Good inexpensive tripods

matthewthompson

Older series 3 Gitzos and above are great tripods for LF cameras. Don't mind if they look used, if still functional they are good.

Lightweight current Gitzos are amongst the best, but older ones are perfectly good. Cameras like heavy tripods, although users (usually) don't.

I've been using Manfrotto tripods for 4x5 monorails for almost 40 years--a used one shouldn't set you back too much, and I have always found them to be good support for heavy (9-12 lb.) cameras. A ball head is usually a bit cheaper than a three way head with comparable specs, and also tends to be a little bit lighter.

Definitely go for used, quality tripods.

Tripods meant to be really light (low mass) are not particularly desirable. If you are worried about a tripod that is too heavy, you probably shouldn't be shooting 4x5 or other large format anyhow.

Image lugging a whole darkroom, 16x20" glass wet-plate camera and such-like to mountain tops as they did in the old days. That was when cameras were wood and photographers were steel!

Actually, I saw a nice piece a while back on converting a surveyors tripod for heavy camera usage. Both antique and new can be had online for comparatively little compared to top of the line heavy duty tripods. Other than that used is a fine opportunity, got a nice Manfrotto / Bogen Tripod and Monopod for a fraction of retail. Edited by Sandy Vongries

I agree with the advice to look for a quality used tripod. I was recently offered $15 by a reputable used dealer for my Manfrotto 3251, a nice, heavy, solid tripod. I wasn't going to sell it for that, so I gave it to a friend. You might not find quite as good a deal, but there seem to be many excellent used tripods available.

A nice used HEAVY tripod.

Years ago, I got a Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 + 3047 head for $50, off Craig's List.

That is the only tripod that I will use my 4x5 on.

The old Tiltall tripod is a good option.

As was said, these tripods are HEAVY.

I won't carry it more than 100 feet from the car, preferably less than 50 feet. Any further and it has to be on a wheeled cart.